Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it weird that I never had chickenpox? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Or mumps or measles?

I mean I am 20 and never had them so any chance of getting them in the future? I have heard it is worse when older and can kill.

PS: My mum never had them neither did my dad nor did my sister.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably get it tonight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    You'll probably get it tonight
    Stop messing with me. I don't want to die :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie786)
    Stop messing with me. I don't want to die :cry2:
    You won't die. And you not getting it Is probably genetic so i wouldn't worry
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It's not weird, as chickenpox is contagious and parents would try to isolate their child from other children to stop others from being infected.

Although as you know it can be worse for adults, hence some parents would try to hold "chickenpox parties" for their child to build immunity at a younger age.

Serious reactions usually develop from those with weakened immune systems or are pregnant. Sometimes a bacterial infection may also occur as you are more susceptible to it when in a weakened state and plenty of spots to scratch - yummy. Otherwise your body should have no trouble fighting the infection, sometimes antiviral drugs may be needed to limit the activity of the virus.

The only way you can catch it is through contact with someone who carries it.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had them either.

But having said that, I was vaccinated for them soooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    You won't die. And you not getting it Is probably genetic so i wouldn't worry
    But what if one day when I have a child yeah and they get it. Its contagious so it'll pass onto me init. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    I never once had it. I'm 22.

ReputationRep:
    I got it really randomly last Christmas at 17 (Completely ruined my Christmas ) ...it's just as we get older obviously we don't come in contact with people with chicken pox and so are less likely to get it.
    But people do get it really late, both my parents were over 20.

ReputationRep:
    I thought everyone gets it once in their life, usually as a child, and the later you get it the worse it is, so as an adult when you get it good night sweet princess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie786)
    Or mumps or measles?

I mean I am 20 and never had them so any chance of getting them in the future? I have heard it is worse when older and can kill.

PS: My mum never had them neither did my dad nor did my sister.
    You are an immune super beast, be proud

ReputationRep:
    maybe you have a mild infection with very minor symptoms which passed unnoticed ?

ReputationRep:
    You can get shingles when older, usually people get it as a recurrence of a latent varicella infection from childhood. It's painful and unsightly, but hardly dangerous in the majority of cases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    You can get shingles when older, usually people get it as a recurrence of a latent varicella infection from childhood. It's painful and unsightly, but hardly dangerous in the majority of cases

oh no are u more at risk of getting that if u never had chicken pox? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ive never had it, you arent alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXSimmyXX)
    oh no are u more at risk of getting that if u never had chicken pox? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No not necessarily, but if you come into contact with someone with an active infection then anyone is at risk

ReputationRep:
    You cannot catch shingles, you get shingles when you've had chicken pox and the virus is active again.

ReputationRep:
    never had chickenpox master race checking in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    It's not weird, as chickenpox is contagious and parents would try to isolate their child from other children to stop others from being infected.

Although as you know it can be worse for adults, hence some parents would try to hold "chickenpox parties" for their child to build immunity at a younger age.

Serious reactions usually develop from those with weakened immune systems or are pregnant. Sometimes a bacterial infection may also occur as you are more susceptible to it when in a weakened state and plenty of spots to scratch - yummy. Otherwise your body should have no trouble fighting the infection, sometimes antiviral drugs may be needed to limit the activity of the virus.

The only way you can catch it is through contact with someone who carries it.
    Chickenpox party? Wow I never heard about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    I've never had them either.

But having said that, I was vaccinated for them soooo
    I thought some people get it even after?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.