Is it weird that I never had chickenpox?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Rosie786
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Or mumps or measles?

I mean I am 20 and never had them so any chance of getting them in the future? I have heard it is worse when older and can kill.

PS: My mum never had them neither did my dad nor did my sister.
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
You'll probably get it tonight
Rosie786
Rep:
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
You'll probably get it tonight
Stop messing with me. I don't want to die :cry2:
username1039383
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rosie786)
Stop messing with me. I don't want to die :cry2:
You won't die. And you not getting it Is probably genetic so i wouldn't worry
getfunky!
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It's not weird, as chickenpox is contagious and parents would try to isolate their child from other children to stop others from being infected.

Although as you know it can be worse for adults, hence some parents would try to hold "chickenpox parties" for their child to build immunity at a younger age.

Serious reactions usually develop from those with weakened immune systems or are pregnant. Sometimes a bacterial infection may also occur as you are more susceptible to it when in a weakened state and plenty of spots to scratch - yummy. Otherwise your body should have no trouble fighting the infection, sometimes antiviral drugs may be needed to limit the activity of the virus.

The only way you can catch it is through contact with someone who carries it.
SHOO
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I've never had them either.

But having said that, I was vaccinated for them soooo
Rosie786
Rep:
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
You won't die. And you not getting it Is probably genetic so i wouldn't worry
But what if one day when I have a child yeah and they get it. Its contagious so it'll pass onto me init. :afraid:
Stinkum
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I never once had it. I'm 22.
tealover96
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I got it really randomly last Christmas at 17 (Completely ruined my Christmas ) ...it's just as we get older obviously we don't come in contact with people with chicken pox and so are less likely to get it.
But people do get it really late, both my parents were over 20.
Greg Jackson
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I thought everyone gets it once in their life, usually as a child, and the later you get it the worse it is, so as an adult when you get it good night sweet princess
Yahamas
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rosie786)
Or mumps or measles?

I mean I am 20 and never had them so any chance of getting them in the future? I have heard it is worse when older and can kill.

PS: My mum never had them neither did my dad nor did my sister.
You are an immune super beast, be proud
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
maybe you have a mild infection with very minor symptoms which passed unnoticed ?
bertstare
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You can get shingles when older, usually people get it as a recurrence of a latent varicella infection from childhood. It's painful and unsightly, but hardly dangerous in the majority of cases
XXSimmyXX
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bertstare)
You can get shingles when older, usually people get it as a recurrence of a latent varicella infection from childhood. It's painful and unsightly, but hardly dangerous in the majority of cases

oh no are u more at risk of getting that if u never had chicken pox? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
pinejuice
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
ive never had it, you arent alone
bertstare
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by XXSimmyXX)
oh no are u more at risk of getting that if u never had chicken pox? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
No not necessarily, but if you come into contact with someone with an active infection then anyone is at risk
xbutterflyx
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You cannot catch shingles, you get shingles when you've had chicken pox and the virus is active again.
Ruffiio
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
never had chickenpox master race checking in
Rosie786
Rep:
(Original post by getfunky!)
It's not weird, as chickenpox is contagious and parents would try to isolate their child from other children to stop others from being infected.

Although as you know it can be worse for adults, hence some parents would try to hold "chickenpox parties" for their child to build immunity at a younger age.

Serious reactions usually develop from those with weakened immune systems or are pregnant. Sometimes a bacterial infection may also occur as you are more susceptible to it when in a weakened state and plenty of spots to scratch - yummy. Otherwise your body should have no trouble fighting the infection, sometimes antiviral drugs may be needed to limit the activity of the virus.

The only way you can catch it is through contact with someone who carries it.
Chickenpox party? Wow I never heard about it.
Rosie786
Rep:
(Original post by SHOO)
I've never had them either.

But having said that, I was vaccinated for them soooo
I thought some people get it even after?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.61%
Okay (72)
29.51%
A bit lacking (91)
37.3%
Not good at all (60)
24.59%

Watched Threads