Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's my best friends birthday and we're going for drinks, at first it was me and him but I decided to try and get the rest of the group going and all but one pretty much said no, the one being my ex. We get on great but I'm still not over him. My friend who's birthday it is admitted he wants to be more than friends with me (I don't want more obviously) and then asked if he could invite his brother to the drinks (his brother is another one of my exes and we haven't seen each other since the break up) should I say yes he can go since I'm the one that' organising everything?

I just think it's going to be awkward when I have my ex who I want to be with me, my ex who I broke up with 2 weeks ago and my friend who wants to be more than friends with me. Ahh I'm panicking a little.

What do I do?!

If I was you, I would go however I wouldn't drink much/if any alcohol so that you are in control of the situation- not the people around you
    Its your friends birthday and friendship is really important, if you're just going out with 'the boys' then it may allow your exes to get over you quicker and see you as a friend. This would also allow there to be no bitterness due to the split up. Furthermore, your friend who's birthday it is may start seeing you in a friendly way if its just you and 'the boys'. I know that I often go out with just my male mates and my gender doesn't get in the way of me having a laugh or good time with them
    I would also leave early too, don't outstay your welcome! If worse comes to worst and its incredibly awkward you can always leave
    To be fair, if you still have feelings for your ex this may even spark a reunion if that's what you want
    But basically, I would definitely go, don't miss out on his birthday

(Original post by Anonymous)
    If I was you, I would go however I wouldn't drink much/if any alcohol so that you are in control of the situation- not the people around you
    Its your friends birthday and friendship is really important, if you're just going out with 'the boys' then it may allow your exes to get over you quicker and see you as a friend. This would also allow there to be no bitterness due to the split up. Furthermore, your friend who's birthday it is may start seeing you in a friendly way if its just you and 'the boys'. I know that I often go out with just my male mates and my gender doesn't get in the way of me having a laugh or good time with them
    I would also leave early too, don't outstay your welcome! If worse comes to worst and its incredibly awkward you can always leave
    To be fair, if you still have feelings for your ex this may even spark a reunion if that's what you want
    But basically, I would definitely go, don't miss out on his birthday
    Thank you. Yeah it is important for me to so since I'm the one that's organised it. I don't want one of them to be over me [although he has another girlfriend and they've been together since April so I'm sure he is ] I hope he does start seeing me as a friend soon because he's had a crush for a while now. Yeah very true I can leave early I guess. We can hope it will be there's like a 0.5% of that happening but we'll see.

Thanks for your help.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.