Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished uni, and trying get a job. I already have a part time job which I've been at for nearly 4 years, but now I want a 'real job' to earn more than pocket money. However, I'm stuck on references.....my employer provides a generic address which will issue basic references but this doesn't seem to be enough for employers.

It is silly but I don't want to ask my current manager for a reference, as it's awkward to say I want to leave and I will also get treated differently. I want to avoid asking anyone from work but who else :confused: My lecturers at uni probably don't have a clue who I was, and apart from that I don't know many people. I feel like maybe I won't ever get a job as I have no references!

Who on earth can I put down? Family and friends aren't allowed either.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    It's accepted that your current employer will give references without being asked first. Nearly everyone faces the issue that they don't want their current employer to know they are looking for another job. As references are usually only taken up once a job offer has been made 'subject to references', you only have your current employer knowing (preferably by you telling them immediately after you get the phone call making the offer) once you have another job to go to.

I wouldn't ever worry about using references that only acknowledge the dates you were employed etc. That's the issue of the employer that asks for references and they know this is an increasing risk. Most professional employers just accept them and hope the second reference is a bit more personal.

You can use university lecturers, if they don't know you then they make up something generic based on your grades and lack of being a 'pita'.

Finally, never give referee details until an employer asks for them. That means if its a CV and covering letter type application, then don't mention them at that stage. If they are asked for on an application form, then don't worry about ticking the 'do not contact without my permission' box, it makes no difference to the selection process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    I've just finished uni, and trying get a job. I already have a part time job which I've been at for nearly 4 years, but now I want a 'real job' to earn more than pocket money. However, I'm stuck on references.....my employer provides a generic address which will issue basic references but this doesn't seem to be enough for employers.

It is silly but I don't want to ask my current manager for a reference, as it's awkward to say I want to leave and I will also get treated differently. I want to avoid asking anyone from work but who else :confused: My lecturers at uni probably don't have a clue who I was, and apart from that I don't know many people. I feel like maybe I won't ever get a job as I have no references!

Who on earth can I put down? Family and friends aren't allowed either.
    I wouldnt worry about your current employer giving a basic reference. Its still a reference at the end of the day and if the new employer wants any more details they could always ask them. And i wouldnt worry about your current job treating you differently or it being awkward when you want to leave. Most employers expect that their staff wont stay forever and will leave at some point. And since new employers wont contact your current job until they have offered you a job, it shouldnt be too bad.
    For your other references, you could still use a uni lecturer. Just pick the one you had the most to do with.
    Also do you belong to any clubs/societies? If so, then get someone from there to give you a reference.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.