Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Drama Group Final: Shawshank Redemption v Fight Club Watch

• View Poll Results: Drama Group Final
    1. The Shawshank Redemption
    58.70%
    3. Fight Club
    41.30%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    Perhaps the most famous cinematic disappointment ever, The Shawshank Redemption made up for it's poor box office with a second wind on home release based almost solely on word of mouth, catapulting it to the top of many people's film lists. Spanning decades, the film looks at life in prison and a blossoming friendship between the prison's fixer and a man convinced of his own innocence.

Fight Club (1999)
    Considered a flop on it's initial release due to incredibly poor marketing by 20th Century Fox, David Fincher's classic would have to wait several years to be appreciated as a success. Based on the book by Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club spoke for a generation that felt emasculated and without a place. Ed Norton and Brad Pitt give sensational performances as a duo that shrug off modern life to recreate their own brand of chaos in the world.

ReputationRep:
    An otherwise excellent, but overrated, movie with a poor ending against a good, but overrated, movie with a better ending.
    For the first time in the competition I give the nod to Shawshank.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    NEE NAW NEE NAW MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR BOTH FILMS (If you havent seen them why are you voting :sly:)

Shawshank is a great film. But it wasn't definitive, it wasn't original, it wasn't even that well written. Ask yourself, if it wasn't morgan freeman saying those lines, would they actually be good dialogue?

'Dat Makes Me Sad Doh'

Fight club was and is definitive. It's original. It's well written. The acting was great apart from one loose end (Yes, looking as Helena Bonham Carter). It definitely deserves my vote here for being a film that explores deeper technique and thematic discourse than anything Shawshank comes close to.

ReputationRep:
    Is the whole *spoiler alert* 'protaganist finds out they've been chasing themselves the whole time' *end of spoiler* thing? Although, to be fair, though I've seen that twist a lot I can't think of any instances that pre-date Fight Club.

To be honest, neither of these films rank amongst my favourites (if I had a 'Top 50' I'm not sure either would make the cut)

I think Shawshank's popularity (Top of the imdb 250) owes a lot to it's simplicity, it even has a narrator to hold your hand all the way through it and has the redemption to leave people happy at the end of the film.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with Shawshank but by the smallest of margins. I loved Fight Club.

ReputationRep:
    Voted fight club since it's a better film imo. Dat ending of fight club was amazing.

Shawshank is too happy bunnies for my liking and giving everyone the ending they want whereas fight club just gives an AWESOME ending.

ReputationRep:
    Has to be Shawshank for me; dat fuzzy feeling it gave me inside tho :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    This is another interesting one, it seems I have massively overestimated the love for Fight Club

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.