Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Rory McIlroy on course to becoming the greatest British sportsman ever?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Rory McIlroy just won the The Open Championship today, his 3rd major by 25 years of age.

Many think he could go onto to surpass Tigers total and possibly even Jack Nicklaus's haul of 18 majors now.

I can't think of a single British sportstar who will be as regarded as good as him. The 1966 England side? Andy Murray? Lennox Lewis? Lewis Hamilton? None of them for me.

I think if Rory surpasses Jack/Tiger you might be looking at the greatest British sportstar ever here. It would be the greatest achievement of them all for sure. We'll be telling our grandkids 'Our nations greatest sportsman - Rory McIlroy'.

PS: I know he has dual allegiances as well, and so I understand Irish people will jointly claim him, which is fine, but I don't want a huge debate in this thread about his nationality.

ReputationRep:
    It's golf, so no, no he is not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Rory McIlroy just won the The Open Championship today, his 3rd major by 25 years of age.

Many think he could go onto to surpass Tigers total and possibly even Jack Nicklaus's haul of 18 majors now.

I can't think of a single British sportstar who will be as regarded as good as him. The 1966 England side? Andy Murray? Lennox Lewis? Lewis Hamilton? None of them for me.

I think if Rory surpasses Jack/Tiger you might be looking at the greatest British sportstar ever here. It would be the greatest achievement of them all for sure. We'll be telling our grandkids 'Our nations greatest sportsman - Rory McIlroy'.

PS: I know he has dual allegiances as well, and so I understand Irish people will jointly claim him, which is fine, but I don't want a huge debate in this thread about his nationality.
    Those two are great? And I present to you: Max Woosnam.
    Sir Jackie Stewart? Sir Chris Hoy? Martin Johnson? Sir Ian Botham? Sir Bradley Wiggins? Paula Radcliffe? Sir Steve Redgrave? Tony McCoy? Phil Taylor? Stephen Hendry?

ReputationRep:
    If golf was a proper sport...

Shots fired!

Having said this I spent today in the wirral watching the him win

ReputationRep:
    No. It's golf.

ReputationRep:
    Yes he has a chance but a lot can change between now and then.

Ten years ago Wayne Rooney was on course for being the greatest English footballer of all time.

After his first two years in F1 Lewis Hamilton was on course for being the greatest English F1 driver of all time.

A couple of years ago Alastair Cook was on course for being the greatest English batsman of all time.

Not a chance when you're playing a sport the vast majority of British people couldn't care less about.

ReputationRep:
      A sport? I thought golf was just something you did when you got old.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      George Best

ReputationRep:
      :reel:
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Shame Garcia didn't win the Open, really. He's the perennial bottler - but he's a class act.

ReputationRep:
      He gets my vote for just totally giving Wozniacki her marching orders.

ReputationRep:
      Little bit early there buddy, lets slow down a bit.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Malevolent)
      Little bit early there buddy, lets slow down a bit.
      I'm saying "is he on course to?" not that he is already. If he wins 7-8 or majors, will go down as the GOAT of British sportsmen, so IMO he'll easily do that. If he breaks Jacks Nicklaus record? Get his face on the £50 banknote.

ReputationRep:
      no, because golf is not a sport, it's a game.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
      Yes he has a chance but a lot can change between now and then.

Ten years ago Wayne Rooney was on course for being the greatest English footballer of all time.

After his first two years in F1 Lewis Hamilton was on course for being the greatest English F1 driver of all time.

A couple of years ago Alastair Cook was on course for being the greatest English batsman of all time.
      Difference is is that a lot of those sportsman cited were in the running to be in the greatest of their sport only.

Nick Faldo has the most majors by a European, 6 majors, which Rory will easily surpass, so him being the greatest British golfer is not in doubt, it would be impossible for him not to be that.

But the greatest sportsman this country has every produced, very very likely.

ReputationRep:
      The greatest at swinging a golf bat yes. But not greatest sportsman.

ReputationRep:

Absolutely agree with your last statement. I don't see why we can't both share him. He's a product of Irish golf having represented them at amateur and boys level and will represent Ireland at the Olympics.

He has spoken about both his feelings of Britishness and Irishness. The cynic in me says that he has half an eye on his commercial appeal but I'll take it-Northern Ireland needs a unifying figure.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Clip)
      He gets my vote for just totally giving Wozniacki her marching orders.
      I thought he was a plank for the way he did it. Broke up with her ages back after she tweeted a picture of him in bed; got back together announced an engagement, she caddied during a golf event, looked happy, marriage is close, invitations go out then he bins her in a three minute phone call. Nice.

But awesome win. McIlroy wins when conditions are favourable. He struggles when they aren't, like in 2011 at the Open when it chucked it down and he couldn't dig in.

ReputationRep:
      But the greatest sportsman this country has every produced, very very likely.
      The thing is it will never be really clear cut accepted.

I think if he goes on to dominate golf, in the way that Tiger Woods used to, he could be our equivalent of Federer or Schumacher or Usain Bolt, a sportsman that transcends his sport because he has dominated it so much.

If he does that then I would say yeah fair play this guy is probably the best British sportsman ever.

But even if he does all that I expect you will end up with a fair few people saying no because its golf. It will always be an argument, never clear cut. Whereas I think in Switzerland, Germany or Jamaica its less controversial who is their greatest sportsman ever.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.