Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Comedy Group Final: Forrest Gump V: It's a Wonderful Life Watch

• View Poll Results: Comedy Group final
    Forrest Gump
    76.92%
    It's a Wonderful Life
    23.08%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Forrest Gump (1994)
    Providing a snapshot of the previous decades of American life, Rob Zemeckis' Forrest Gump (starring Tom Hanks) became an instant classic, commanding both Oscars and high levels of box office revenue. While people have tried to attribute it's message as propaganda for movements across the political spectrum, it remains a very funny and irreverent look back over recent American history.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    As much of a Christmas staple as the Great Escape, It's A Wonderful Life stars James Stewart as a man poised to commit suicide on Christmas Eve but is interrupted by a guardian angel who shows him all the positive effects his life has had. One of the biggest initial flops on the list and a turning point in Frank Capra's career away from the studio darling he once was, the film has later gone on to be widely acknowledged as a classic.

ReputationRep:
    With all the interesting films having been eliminated, for me this has become the 'whatever' group.
    I vote against Forrest.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's a wonderful life is a seriously iconic film. But Forest Gump is on a whole different level. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It's a 'whatever' group for me too. Neither are **** but I wouldn't watch either by choice. Can't even pick one I like most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    It's a wonderful life is a seriously iconic film. But Forest Gump is on a whole different level. :yep:
    Yep, it's worse

ReputationRep:
    As predicted poor old It's a Wonderful Life is getting blasted, and will effectively become a free pass for either Shawshank or Fight Club when it gets similarly destroyed in the Round of 16.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Yep, it's worse

Come on, you've got to back that up at least

ReputationRep:
    Come on, you've got to back that up at least
    It would have worked better as a Pixar movie. I'd certainly take Toy Story more seriously.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It would have worked better as a Pixar movie. I'd certainly take Toy Story more seriously.

I don't know, it's an oscar winning film that explores so many things. The lines are quotable as some of the most insightful in cinematic history. It might not be your cuppa tea and I'm interested in hearing why, but it's not fair to dismiss it just when it didn't ring true for you. Personally I find some of the scenes to be some of the most moving and unusually innovated in all of cinema. The development of characters that think, live, breathe, and ultimately die within the frames of the film is definitive, for example. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, it's an oscar winning film that explores so many things. The lines are quotable as some of the most insightful in cinematic history. It might not be your cuppa tea and I'm interested in hearing why, but it's not fair to dismiss it just when it didn't ring true for you. Personally I find some of the scenes to be some of the most moving and unusually innovated in all of cinema. The development of characters that think, live, breathe, and ultimately die within the frames of the film is definitive, for example. :ahee:
    Each to their own, and of course I respect your clear admiration for the film. I also note it's popularity on here.
    The fact that it made me feel slightly nauseous should not be taken personally!
    :puke:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    joke

ReputationRep:
    Easy victory for Forrest Gump it#s looking like. Giant lead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Now "It's A Wonderful Life," it was bad. But "Forrest Gump?" It was MAD!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I demand a recount of the Back to the Future vote!

ReputationRep:
    I demand a recount of the Back to the Future vote!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll...do=showresults

Recounted. BTTF still loses!

ReputationRep:
    It's a Wonderful Life. One of the two Xmas films I care about watching each year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.