Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR MovieMadness: Wartime&Western Group Final: Saving Private Ryan v Schindler's List Watch

• View Poll Results: Wartime & Western Group Final
    Saving Private Ryan
    29.27%
    Schindler's List
    70.73%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    Steven Spielberg's greatest talent has always been to generate tales of human interest no matter what the setting, and nowhere is that more apparent than in Saving Private Ryan. Set against a backdrop of high-action scenes as the Allies storm Nazi-occupied France in WWII, the film pursues a small team of men fighting to reach and evacuate one solider after his other three brothers have been killed.

Schindler's List (1993)
    Based on a true story, Steven Spielberg’s holocaust film stars Liam Neeson as Oskar Schindler, the German businessman who set out to exploit cheap Jewish labour in Poland and ended up putting everything on the line to save 1100 Jews from the gas chambers at Auschwitz. Shot in black and white with iconic splashes of red, Spielberg’s film is both an emotionally draining depiction of the horrors of the Holocaust and an uplifting recognition of the existence of human kindness even in the darkest of times.

ReputationRep:
    One of these films is solid from start to finish, the other totally relies on it's admittedly fine first act.
    Schindler's is the more consistent movie, and therefore get's my vote.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The idea that these are the two 'wartime and western' films reminds me of the line from the Blues Brothers when the bar is asked what sort of music is usually played there: "Oh, we got both kinds. We got country and western."

Neither should be on anyone's top ten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    One of these films is solid from start to finish, the other totally relies on it's admittedly fine first act.
    Schindler's is the more consistent movie, and therefore get's my vote.
    That's *******s, let's be real.

Every fighting scene in the film is done impeccably well (and there's a few), it's superiorly acted, definitely has a more engaging and better written script, a batter score.

Schindler's List is overrated and just consistently good throughout (not a very good ending however), whereas SPR hits heights Schindler's List doesn't and maintains a higher standard for me, and it definitely ends on a higher level (that final battle scene is great and the graveyard scene felt much more real and emotional then Schindler's breakdown). The Pianist > Schindler's List

ReputationRep:
    Schindler's List has a good lead atm and i reckon a worthy one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    That's *******s, let's be real.

Every fighting scene in the film is done impeccably well (and there's a few), it's superiorly acted, definitely has a more engaging and better written script, a batter score.

Schindler's List is overrated and just consistently good throughout (not a very good ending however), whereas SPR hits heights Schindler's List doesn't and maintains a higher standard for me, and it definitely ends on a higher level (that final battle scene is great and the graveyard scene felt much more real and emotional then Schindler's breakdown). The Pianist > Schindler's List
    Whilst the Omaha beach scene in SPR is superb, the final battle is standard "Americans being heroic against overwhelming odds" stuff. The two are chalk and cheese.

The graveyard scene in SPR isn't real, it's Spielberg doing his emotional manipulation thing. The graveyard epilogue in Schindler's is far more emotional, and real.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst the Omaha beach scene in SPR is superb, the final battle is standard "Americans being heroic against overwhelming odds" stuff. The two are chalk and cheese.

The graveyard scene in SPR isn't real, it's Spielberg doing his emotional manipulation thing. The graveyard epilogue in Schindler's is far more emotional, and real.
    If you don't like the final scene fair enough but there are quite a lot of fighting scenes and they're all done to a great and mostly realistic level, something SPR has been consistently praised for.

Obviously it;s not real, just like the final scene in Schindler's List isn't real, but unlike Schindler's List, SPR is not based on a real person, so tell me, which ending do you think is more emotionally manipulative? Especially considering that the breakdown scene was just stupid and out of character, so how you've concluded that it's more real is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Obviously it;s not real, just like the final scene in Schindler's List isn't real, but unlike Schindler's List, SPR is not based on a real person, so tell me, which ending do you think is more emotionally manipulative? Especially considering that the breakdown scene was just stupid and out of character, so how you've concluded that it's more real is beyond me.
    Err, I am referring to the graveyard epilogue. I'm guessing that you haven't seen it.

ReputationRep:
    Err, I am referring to the graveyard epilogue. I'm guessing that you haven't seen it.
    I watched it in college, it just wasn't something that stuck out to me at all, unlike the out of place breakdown before that, which I found a natural comparison to the breakdown in SPR. And even then it doesn't change my opinion in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    I watched it in college, it just wasn't something that stuck out to me at all, unlike the out of place breakdown before that, which I found a natural comparison to the breakdown in SPR. And even then it doesn't change my opinion in the slightest
    Nothing wrong with different opinions. However, arguing that seeing the descendants of the Jews that Schindler saved paying tribute at his grave isn't more "real" than the emotional manipulation at the end of SPR is, well, odd.

Not everyone thinks that SPR is great. Most people think that the beginning is (great). I suppose I'm most people.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with different opinions. However, arguing that seeing the descendants of the Jews that Schindler saved paying tribute at his grave isn't more "real" than the emotional manipulation at the end of SPR is, well, odd.

Not everyone thinks that SPR is great. Most people think that the beginning is (great). I suppose I'm most people.
    I don;t think so in the slightest, Schindler's List didn't do much for me personally, maybe as someone as well read up on History Schindler's List didn't really shock me as I know it did quite a few as they never knew the horrors of the Holocaust. Even before watching the film I'd known of and read about Schindler, I find it much more emotionally manipulative.

Schindler's breakdown scene at the end just confirmed it for me, and it's more emotionally manipulative then any scene in SPR.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.