ReputationRep:
    It's actually downright ridiculous how many racist threads/posts I see on this forum.

Quite frankly, the "anti-hate speech" thing in the rules seems to be a load of rubbish, because there are also a billion anti-woman threads on here every day, which seem to be made by the same people with multiple accounts which I presume is also against the rules.

Now, AFAIK the Student Room is meant to be a student site and not some kind of subtle, pretending-to-be-innocent version of Stormfront.

So why do the moderators here turn such a blind eye to this sort of thing?

Half the racist threads and posts I see would get shut down in under a couple of hours in the other forums I frequent. But here they go on for days and weeks.

Especially given how many people on this site are under 18, TSR really needs to take more responsibility and tighten up application of its modding rules.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Champagning)
    We don't at all. If you see any racist posts, report them and a mod will deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen any racism on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    We don't at all. If you see any racist posts, report them and a mod will deal with it.
    By "deal with it," presumably you mean card them?

Don't you have to get something like 10 - 20 cards and then you only get banned for a week anyway? That's an awful lot of posts racist trolls have to be making before they get banned, and relies on people reporting them a lot too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    I haven't seen any racism on TSR.
    I have one name for you:

GreenMarble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    I have one name for you:

GreenMarble
    hmm never heard of him, would like to meet him

ReputationRep:
    It's actually downright ridiculous how many racist threads/posts I see on this forum.

Quite frankly, the "anti-hate speech" thing in the rules seems to be a load of rubbish, because there are also a billion anti-woman threads on here every day, which seem to be made by the same people with multiple accounts which I presume is also against the rules.

Now, AFAIK the Student Room is meant to be a student site and not some kind of subtle, pretending-to-be-innocent version of Stormfront.

Half the racist threads and posts I see would get shut down in under a couple of hours in the other forums I frequent. But here they go on for days and weeks.

Especially given how many people on this site are under 18, TSR really needs to take more responsibility and tighten up application of its modding rules.
    Or alternatively, you could avoid getting your delicate sensibilities offended by not clicking on the threads.

Just because you don't approve of a view doesn't mean it should be censored, and the Mods on this website are pretty intolerant of any remarks that are deemed to be racist or offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    hmm never heard of him, would like to meet him
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Or alternatively, you could avoid getting your delicate sensibilities offended by not clicking on the threads.

Just because you don't approve of a view doesn't mean it should be censored, and the Mods on this website are pretty intolerant of any remarks that are deemed to be racist or offensive.
    :rofl:

Yes, instead of people not breaking the (supposed) rules by posting hate speech in threads and posts, people should just... not read or click on them instead! It's all the fault of the people who choose to look at that kind of stuff! Don't you know, posting it is absolutely fine.

Bloody brilliant! Someone please fetch our dear friend Tengentoppa here a nice glass of common sense (with a few dashes of brains and manners) and shove it down his mouth post haste.

ReputationRep:
    Swearing is clearly a bigger issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by consumed by stuff)
    Swearing is clearly a bigger issue.
    Not as big as avoiding the swear filter is!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Yes, instead of people not breaking the (supposed) rules by posting hate speech in threads and posts, people should just... not read or click on them instead! It's all the fault of the people who choose to look at that kind of stuff! Don't you know, posting it is absolutely fine.

Bloody brilliant! Someone please fetch our dear friend Tengentoppa here a nice glass of common sense (with a few dashes of brains and manners) and shove it down his mouth post haste.
    If no-one replies to them then the threads get no traction and people will stop making them. It's impossible for the mods to keep track of every single thread to the second so I was offering a solution.

I don't see how your whining is helping in any way. Besides, is it really any of your business what other people post? It's not having an impact on your life in any meaningful sense.
    • Study Helper

By "deal with it," presumably you mean card them?

Don't you have to get something like 10 - 20 cards and then you only get banned for a week anyway? That's an awful lot of posts racist trolls have to be making before they get banned, and relies on people reporting them a lot too.
    Not necessarily, it depends on the circumstance. If someone's on here purely to make racist posts (or just cause trouble in general), I personally tend to issue a red card to them (i.e. ban them) and then raise the issue with the SL's, who follow up on it.

ReputationRep:
    Not true, I've been on this site for 6 years now (good god :rolleyes: ) and haven't seen any racism go unnoticed, you report it and it gets deleted and the user banned if they continue posting in that way. And while I hate the anti-women threads, most of them aren't exactly offensive or rule-breaking, though you'll see that many of them descend into chaos and get deleted anyway.

And comparing this site to Stormfront is crazy, I was browsing that site the other day and literally nothing is off bounds, you can post the most offensive, vile, hateful thing imaginable and they'll allow it, its a site that's so racist, it doesn't even try to hide its racism, its members wear it as a badge of honour and you'd be banned for saying you're NOT racist.

ReputationRep:
    Just report and don't read those threads. Racist people are not important and the rest of the world is moving forwards

ReputationRep:
    Tbh racism doesn't really exist in the 21st Century anymore

• Study Helper

(Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    If only that were true...would have saved me a lot of stress in the past... :moon:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl3:

When I joined TSR again after a long break I was shocked/annoyed at the type of threads people regularly posted on here. Especially the ones that made the popular page. There were some nasty threads that had been around for a couple of days and I was confused as to why they hadn't been deleted. I nearly left again!

But I realise that the mods (unfortunately) can't censor every person with ridiculous opinions.

I'm more concerned about the people who are posting the shizz. I'm hoping they're harmless idiots who have nothing better to do....I just wish they stuck to the Daily Mail comments section

ReputationRep:
    Don't I funking know it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, please.

(Original post by usycool1)
    ...who is now permanently banned.
    Excellent! I have been waiting for them to be perma banned for ages now! Go mods!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.