The Student Room Group

What happens if you DON'T continue education after 16?

Scroll to see replies

Did u get any fines or anything? And was there anything that mightve made your case special, because ive been looking for an apprenticeship but ive not got one yet and its already nearly december
She can work in a factory 12 hour shifts with the other people with lack of, or with an international education, for minimum wage.
Original post by yellowcopter
Just so you know I'm speaking here theoretically, and I do plan on going to sixth form and doing A-Levels. :smile:

What happens if you don't go to sixth form or college, or do an apprenticeship, in fact you do nothing? I'm just intrigued to see what will happen, as the law says that you must continue education until you're 18.

I'm asking because my (very stupid) friend is planning on doing this. There's no point convincing her so I'm not asking for advice on how to - I just want to know what will happen.

Thanks. :tongue:

Edit: No stupid responses and bother to read the OP damn it.

in the uk: if u are not in education or apprenticeships ect your parents get aprox £90 fine a day for everyday you miss and if its over like a month they have to go to court but u yourself don't really get in trouble until all thats done. but u can also work if your not in school. if you worki think its 29 hours or more u can say that and im pretty sure that counts
Original post by itstia23
in the uk: if u are not in education or apprenticeships ect your parents get aprox £90 fine a day for everyday you miss and if its over like a month they have to go to court but u yourself don't really get in trouble until all thats done. but u can also work if your not in school. if you worki think its 29 hours or more u can say that and im pretty sure that counts

Nothing you have said is correct
Reply 64
welcome to mcdonalds. what can I get ya?
I heard they can fine your parents
Original post by yellowcopter
Just so you know I'm speaking here theoretically, and I do plan on going to sixth form and doing A-Levels. :smile:

What happens if you don't go to sixth form or college, or do an apprenticeship, in fact you do nothing? I'm just intrigued to see what will happen, as the law says that you must continue education until you're 18.

I'm asking because my (very stupid) friend is planning on doing this. There's no point convincing her so I'm not asking for advice on how to - I just want to know what will happen.

Thanks. :tongue:

Edit: No stupid responses and bother to read the OP damn it.

I think your parents get fined cuz by law you have to be in some sort of education until age 18.

My friend is kinda like that too. I've tried so hard with her to motivate her but she doesn't seem to listen. i guess that as a friend I've done all I can and the rest is up to her. i hope to God that she changes
Maybe she has poor mental health?
no
If you do not continue education after 16 years of age, you can be forced to pay a fine up to $500,000. Continuing education after 16 years of age is the law.

Quick Reply

Latest