The Student Room Group

Ex-Muslim, now Atheist - ASK ME ANYTHING!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlackJackson
Haven't you realised that is what they tell you because they don't want people leaving Islam? OP is an extremely intellectual individual who realised he was following a lie and is now no longer restrained by religion.

Being born into Islam is the only reason it still flourishes today - very few adults convert to Islam because as adults our minds cannot be easily manipulated whereas a child can be brought up believing absolutely anything. I think the soul reason Muslims or any religious followers believe what they believe is because they desperately want it to be true, they don't want to let go of something they have been taught to believe all their life.

I feel sorry for Muslims, they waste their time praying to a God who doesn't exist, reading a book full of nonsensical claims with no evidence whatsoever. I am sorry if I have offended you but I am simply stating my beliefs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahaha bless you and OP's cotton socks :')

Muslim 4 life xox
Do you still hold a sense of spirituality?

From what I've seen, "converted" atheists reject all theories of the supernatural, or never believed it to exist in the first place.

Or is Islam not really a spiritual religion to begin with?
Original post by Secretnerd123
Hahahaha bless you and OP's cotton socks :')

Muslim 4 life xox

He's not part of your Maram...you should't be kissing him.
:mad:
To OP: Have you ever considered adopting Non-Theistic religions to fulfil any Spiritual need you may have?
How are you suddenly 'free' without islam? I honestly feel so sorry for OP. Disbelievers (and especially those who were given the privelege to be born into the religion then turned away) get the worst punishment on the day of judgement.

If I made a similar comment towards an atheist who converted to Islam, I am 100% certain it would not go down well and you would probably be quick to voice your opposition.

One can be free without Islam. It what sense would an atheist not be free? There are certain social freedoms an ex-Muslim would get when becoming atheist. One would no longer be burdened by the plethora of archaic rules contained within the Hadith and Quran. You can debate whether they are archaic or not, but you can't debate that an atheist would be constrained less by the rigid rules and regulations in Islam.
Would you consider yourself a Cultural Muslim? I'm of Christian heritage and as such consider myself a Cultural Christian. I follow the majority of traditions of Christianity, do you follow the traditions of Islam?
Reply 346
Original post by Marcum
Would you consider yourself a Cultural Muslim? I'm of Christian heritage and as such consider myself a Cultural Christian. I follow the majority of traditions of Christianity, do you follow the traditions of Islam?

Yea I guess we do. We still celebrate Eid as a cultural thing, mainly because all my extended family are muslims.
Reply 347
Original post by Bill_Gates
What was it specifically that made you leave Islam?

Im sure there are many reasons.

It wasn't anything specifically about Islam. I left religion as a whole when I was exposed to a more rational way of thinking. It wasn't the case that I was swayed away from Islam specifically, but rather it was me just deciding that religion makes no sense. To elaborate, I didn't see anything completely deviant about Islam to make me think 'man, I shouldn't be following this religion'. I saw all religions as more or less the same. There wasn't anything that particularly striked me about Islam to put me off from it. It was just the whole concept of religion which I began to reject.
Original post by BlackJackson
Haven't you realised that is what they tell you because they don't want people leaving Islam? OP is an extremely intellectual individual who realised he was following a lie and is now no longer restrained by religion.

Being born into Islam is the only reason it still flourishes today - very few adults convert to Islam because as adults our minds cannot be easily manipulated whereas a child can be brought up believing absolutely anything. I think the soul reason Muslims or any religious followers believe what they believe is because they desperately want it to be true, they don't want to let go of something they have been taught to believe all their life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was bought up in a Muslim family and it's true to be honest. Their minds has been conditioned into thinking being a Muslim or whatever religion is the only true way to live. There's a lot of pressure from family to adhere and not question things as well. Lots of emotional blackmail and guilt tripping going on. I have the upmost respect for the OP, many would just follow the crowd like a sheep. He seems to be a very rational, open-minded person.
Are ISIS, Alqaede, Boko Haram, Hezbollah islamic groups? Yes, they are! We know the tree from its fruit! What a fruit!
May Allah guide you back to Islam, the right path of life brother, it very sad to hear.......
Reply 351
Why are 95% of ex muslims south asian?
I honestly think you guys became atheist due to your cultural/personal issues and not Islam itself.

This x 100%. South Asian culture, religion aside, seems very restrictive etc.
We follow the book of Love and the true God, The Bible, where the true God advocates love and forgiveness. Devil advocates hatred and animosity though but we have decided not to follow them thanks to our proper teacher Jesus
where does the right path lead to? ISIS or Alqaede?
Original post by Kevin70
where does the right path lead to? ISIS or Alqaede?

Neither. You should probably hang around with a different crowd...
Religiosity is the root of many evils.

Quick Reply

Latest