Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello Mark,
    I was wondering if you could possibly clear up something for me. I am starting an Open University course in October, BSc (Hons) Natural Sciences. And I have applied for a part time tuition fee loan to cover the costs of the course.

However, I have previously studied at a HE institution at UWE Bristol, and received 3 years of finance from SFE. I completed my first two years of study, but did not complete my third. I did not complete my degree due to compelling personal reasons, mainly being mental health problems that severely affected my ability to carry out normal everyday tasks let alone study during years 2 and 3 of my course. I would like to study for a degree as I am now over the mental health problems that I had a few years ago. How will this affect my entitlement to SFE part time tuition fee loans?

I have spoken to my doctor and he is more than happy to write me a letter as supporting evidence should it be needed, as well as my programme leader at UWE, who was fully aware of the issues I was facing. I also happened to be seeing the Counselling Service at the university, who may also be able to write me a letter as supporting evidence.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I understand that this is a bit of a minefield in terms of working out how much entitlement I am able to receive. From my understanding because the course I am now starting in September is a higher qualification than the one that I currently hold, I will be entitled to funding. However, what I am unsure about is how long you might fund my part time course (it will take me 6 years to complete). I have already applied for a tuition fee loan and am still awaiting to hear back, but thought it's probably best to be proactive should I need to get together any supporting evidence.

Thank you for your time in reading this, and I look forward to hearing your response.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    William,

Your previous study would not be considered as its a lower level qualification and you did not achieve an award.
    You are normally entitled to 16 years of full funding at part time level from student finance England.

You can send evidence of your medical /compelling personal reasons to confirm your suspension or withdrawal from your course.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    William,

Your previous study would not be considered as its a lower level qualification and you did not achieve an award.
    You are normally entitled to 16 years of full funding at part time level from student finance England.

You can send evidence of your medical /compelling personal reasons to confirm your suspension or withdrawal from your course.

Thanks
    Brilliant, thank you so much for clarifying that for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.