Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about having a job whilst at university. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got a question that's been bugging me since I've applied to university. I will most probably be applying for a part time job whilst at university alongside my studies but what happens between terms when you go home for the holidays?

If I do have a job I will be contracted to work so many hours a week but how do you keep the job in the term holidays?

The obvious answer would be to take holiday from work but most jobs only entitle you to a certain number of days holiday and surely this wouldn't be enough to cover all the days between term time?

Anyone have an answer hahhaahhaah? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    Some students go home for like 2 weeks then come back to work while living in the halls over summer. Or some places allow you to work term time and then go home in the holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends what kind of job you want whilst at Uni. I worked at a shop on the weekend and I felt immensely guilty because I felt I should be using my time to study really. I was not desperate for money because I had student finance. Some of my friends tutor younger students for their GCSEs for like ad hoc work.

ReputationRep:
    My job allows me to go on 'Study Leave'. Basically they keep me on as a seasonal worker (during non term times) and I work when they need me. It depends on the company I guess.

If you do apply for a job explain to them your situation and they'll decide if they can fit you in based upon your circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm running nine companies and writing three books alongside a full time degree course. As long as you manage your time right, it's no biggie

But if you can, I suggest you freelance or start your own small business or something along those lines, since you can change your timetable and hours to fit around your course completely, rather than having to try and make compromises and negotiate shift times etc

ReputationRep:
    You might be able to find a job at a bar/restaurant on campus. They are used to student workers and allow time off for the holidays.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go home. Then again, I didn't have a home to go to.

The point being though, discuss this with employers as early as possible so you are aware of their expectations.

ReputationRep:
    You don't go home, or you negotiate bits of leave with your employers, and/or you do casual work where there is no specific commitment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.