Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American student who will be applying to courses in the UK this fall. I am interested in studying International Relations, and I would like to know what universities people recommend for this course. At the moment, the schools I am considering are the University of Edinburgh, the London School of Economics, Durham University, and the University of Manchester. Are these good universities for IR, and if I were to get accepted, which one should I choose? Also, are there any other recommendations for schools to apply to? I have fairly good AP scores; 5s in US Government, French, World History, and English Language; and a 4 in Calculus AB. I also have a combined SAT score of 2030, and I will be taking 5 more AP courses this coming year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savmm251)
    I'm an American student who will be applying to courses in the UK this fall. I am interested in studying International Relations, and I would like to know what universities people recommend for this course. At the moment, the schools I am considering are the University of Edinburgh, the London School of Economics, Durham University, and the University of Manchester. Are these good universities for IR, and if I were to get accepted, which one should I choose? Also, are there any other recommendations for schools to apply to? I have fairly good AP scores; 5s in US Government, French, World History, and English Language; and a 4 in Calculus AB. I also have a combined SAT score of 2030, and I will be taking 5 more AP courses this coming year.
    It really depends on your specific interests. LSE, KCL, St. Andrews and Aberystwyth are generally taken to have the best undergraduate programmes in the country, although the general reputation of the latter puts more than a few people off. Sussex, Edinburgh, SOAS, Warwick and York are all worth looking into, although that list is by no means exhaustive. I would also say Cambridge's programme in Human Social and Political Science (HSPS), of which a serious component is International Relations, easily rivals any of the above. I can't comment on Manchester, but keep in mind that the Durham IR department was only established very recently.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.