Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello my IB comrades.
    I NEED YOUR HELP!
    I have 3 days to decide my subjects and these will determine my future.

I want to study Law at Cambridge

Firstly, my school only offers Geography and Business and ESS for group 3.
    I don't really enjoy Geography but I am very good at Business, however I am worried that it is considered as a soft subject. What should I do???

Secondly, I want to do really well as you know Oxbridge. Is my combination alright and seem possible? Would they like my HL combo?

Lastly, should I do Chemistry SL or Physics SL? What is easier?
    And I like algebra but is Maths SL too hard to get a 7 compared to Math studies?

These are the combination in my mind
    Italian ab
    Business HL
    English HL
    Biology HL
    Maths SL
    Chemistry SL

PLEASE GIVE ME THE BEST ADVICE YOU CAN POSSIBLY GIVE.
    Cambridge is my biggest dream ever and I really want to achieve it.
    Thank you so much everyone I am so grateful of you guys.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to study at university?

If you're worried about business being seen as a soft subject (which is true) then perhaps consider switching it to SL and taking one of your SLs to HL.

SL maths is fine, provided you're prepared to work hard, and looks a lot better than maths studies on a university application. How did GCSE maths go?

ReputationRep:
    Business is generally considered soft. I think you should give IB Geography a try for a week or two at least, since it's your best option and also because the subject is taught very differently in IB than GCSE (or so they say). Who knows, you just might like it!

I'd advise against Math Studies unless you're truly bad at math. It's considered soft and if you take B&M as well your choices will definitely be weakened. My suggestion is to not switch unless you need to.

I think double sciences is unnecessary for law. Another language is always a great option. An art would help you stand out and show your versatility. Maybe take both Geo and B&M? You should consider the switch, but what's important really is to do subjects you can score well in and enjoy. If that's the sciences, you should definitely stick with them.

Chemistry vs Physics depends on you really. I'd suggest Physics as it's more logical thinking based and would strengthen your application more given all things are equal. But if you'd score even a point better in Chem, go with that instead. The score is more important than the science.

In the end my suggested combination for you is:

English HL
    Geo HL (switch to B&M if you don't like it)
    Your Choice HL (this could be an art/language, or you can stick to Biology)
    Your Choice SL (again, an art/language, or your best [remaining] science.)
    Mathematics SL
    Italian a.b. SL

Taking both Geo and B&M is always an option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)

If you're worried about business being seen as a soft subject (which is true) then perhaps consider switching it to SL and taking one of your SLs to HL.

SL maths is fine, provided you're prepared to work hard, and looks a lot better than maths studies on a university application. How did GCSE maths go?
    I want to study Law. Yes, maybe changing business to SL could be better.
    But what should my other good HL be!!!
    What would be a good HL that looks good on my application?
    Or maybe I should do 4 HL as Business HL isn't that hard and secure me a 7.

I am actually an Australian student so I don't do GCSE
    Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piergest)
    Business is generally considered soft. I think you should give IB Geography a try for a week or two at least, since it's your best option and also because the subject is taught very differently in IB than GCSE (or so they say). Who knows, you just might like it!

I'd advise against Math Studies unless you're truly bad at math. It's considered soft and if you take B&M as well your choices will definitely be weakened. My suggestion is to not switch unless you need to.

I think double sciences is unnecessary for law. Another language is always a great option. An art would help you stand out and show your versatility. Maybe take both Geo and B&M? You should consider the switch, but what's important really is to do subjects you can score well in and enjoy. If that's the sciences, you should definitely stick with them.

Chemistry vs Physics depends on you really. I'd suggest Physics as it's more logical thinking based and would strengthen your application more given all things are equal. But if you'd score even a point better in Chem, go with that instead. The score is more important than the science.

English HL
    Mathematics SL
    Italian a.b. SL

Okay, first of all, thank you so much for this!
    Hmm, would Cambridge like Geography as my HL? if they do, then I should go for it. I don't really enjoy Geography but I guess if that will change my percentage of getting in. I would do it!
    But I could ask keep Business as HL and have 4 HL as I really enjoy Business.

Next, I don't do GCSE as I live in Australia! haha sorry but thanks for your advice anyway!
    Also what do you mean an Art will make me look different?
    I thought about doing Film Studies but I was advised that it wouldn't look very good on my application. What do you think??

I was going to take double science as I enjoy science quite a lot.
    I love Biology and would love to take it. I just don't know what would be better Chem or Physics. If I take them as SL what would be easier to get a higher mark?

So does this sound better?
    Italian ab SL
    Maths SL
    Physics or Chem SL or Geography HL
    Biology HL
    English HL
    Business HL

Maybe having 4 HL could be better as the 3 HL as Cambridge require 6,7,7 on 3 subjects.

PLS GIVE ME ANY ADVICE YOU HAVE.
    I am panicking as Cambridge is my biggest dream ever :')
    Thanks so much xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)

This is utter nonsense for law. It's a completely maths free course and Cambridge will not car whether you have studies or standard so OP should make their life easier and do Studies

(Original post by christina___21)

Maybe having 4 HL could be better as the 3 HL as Cambridge require 6,7,7 on 3 subjects.

Thanks so much xx
    Doing 4 HLs is frankly stupid. It won't be advantageous, Cambridge won't care and might even say give you an offer of 7776 at HL, as Cambridge offers aren't set in stone and fluctuate greatly, and if you have 4 HLs they might ask you to get top marks in 3 or all 4.

My advice to you is this.

Take at Higher Level
    English Literature
    Biology
    Geography

at Standard Level
    Maths Studies
    Italian ab initio
    Business or ESS. (Doing ESS is basically just revision for Geography and biology)

ReputationRep:

Utter nonsense, especially for Cambridge. It's true it's regarded as soft for science courses, but law has no maths, and most applicants won't have A level maths for law. People need to get it out of their heads that maths studies is seen as soft as people who aren't cut out for SL end up taking it, and getting an average grade when studies could be a guaranteed 6 or 7. It's what can make the difference between getting 40 and getting 35.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    Utter nonsense, especially for Cambridge. It's true it's regarded as soft for science courses, but law has no maths, and most applicants won't have A level maths for law. People need to get it out of their heads that maths studies is seen as soft as people who aren't cut out for SL end up taking it, and getting an average grade when studies could be a guaranteed 6 or 7. It's what can make the difference between getting 40 and getting 35.
    While it is true that Math Studies is perfectly acceptable for law, it's certainly to OP's advantage to take the stronger course. Given all other things are equal, the candidate would Mathematics SL would be preferred to the one with Math studies, no? It shows greater academic ability, at the very least, and that is a boon when it comes to university admissions.

STILL, it is wholly reliant on how well OP does in Mathematics. If taking the more advanced math course brings down her score, I too encourage her to take studies instead I agree with that.

i don't think what I said was "utter nonsense" though, Callu-m. OP clearly has this huge dream to go to Cambridge, so she should do everything she can to improve her chances. And so I'll stand by my advice to take Mathematics instead of Math Studies provided it won't be a detriment to her total score. That part is very important

ReputationRep:
    Okay, first of all, thank you so much for this!
    Hmm, would Cambridge like Geography as my HL? if they do, then I should go for it. I don't really enjoy Geography but I guess if that will change my percentage of getting in. I would do it!
    But I could ask keep Business as HL and have 4 HL as I really enjoy Business.

Next, I don't do GCSE as I live in Australia! haha sorry but thanks for your advice anyway!
    Also what do you mean an Art will make me look different?
    I thought about doing Film Studies but I was advised that it wouldn't look very good on my application. What do you think??

I was going to take double science as I enjoy science quite a lot.
    I love Biology and would love to take it. I just don't know what would be better Chem or Physics. If I take them as SL what would be easier to get a higher mark?

So does this sound better?
    Italian ab SL
    Maths SL
    Physics or Chem SL or Geography HL
    Biology HL
    English HL
    Business HL

Thanks so much xx
    If you don't enjoy Geo don't do it! My advice is to give it a shot and keep it if you enjoy it. Doing the IB courses you dislike will bring down your score, so I don't think it's worth it.

Like Callu-m said, more often than not 4 HLs will bring down your total score. I don't recommend it unless you're a genius. No harm in giving it a try either, to see if you can handle the workload. But even if you can manage it, I think 3 HLs are better. Likely it'll significantly improve your final score and that's very important!

ReputationRep:
    Hello my IB comrades.
    I NEED YOUR HELP!
    I have 3 days to decide my subjects and these will determine my future.

I want to study Law at Cambridge

Firstly, my school only offers Geography and Business and ESS for group 3.
    I don't really enjoy Geography but I am very good at Business, however I am worried that it is considered as a soft subject. What should I do???

Secondly, I want to do really well as you know Oxbridge. Is my combination alright and seem possible? Would they like my HL combo?

Lastly, should I do Chemistry SL or Physics SL? What is easier?
    And I like algebra but is Maths SL too hard to get a 7 compared to Math studies?

These are the combination in my mind
    Italian ab
    Business HL
    English HL
    Biology HL
    Maths SL
    Chemistry SL

PLEASE GIVE ME THE BEST ADVICE YOU CAN POSSIBLY GIVE.
    Cambridge is my biggest dream ever and I really want to achieve it.
    Thank you so much everyone I am so grateful of you guys.
    Yes, business is considered soft, and obviously Oxbridge don't do soft. If you enjoy geography, take it! it'll make your IB life that much better (because ti can get really stressful at times!), but if you don't then don't my advice always is, IF YOU DON'T LIKE OR NEED A SUBJECT, DON'T TAKE IT If you think you can get a 7 in business then go for it

Definitely do Chem SL , not only is it easier, but I think it's a little bit more relevant to everyday life? Like a lot of it is complex and very hard but occasionally you learn something which is actually very useful!

I would say SL: Italian ab, Maths (which will look fabulous if you get a 7 in!) , Chem
    HL: Business, English and Biology

Good luck!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

English HL
    Mathematics SL
    Italian a.b. SL

Business was the hardest one I did at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)

Yea, if it doesn't specify A level maths, then taking maths studies is fine. Maths studies is fun man and as always, if you don't neeed SL maths, don't do it! extra work extra hassle and it's hard

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.