Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why doesn't the UK ever invite the USA to the Commonwealth Games? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Yeah I know we kicked your ass and tossed your tea overboard in the 1770's but we love sports, nothing ever happens in the summer as far as sports goes in America, we are a "former" british colony after all and we have more in common with Eng;and that the rest of the America's.

Sidenote*The USA dominates the actual Olympic Games could you imagine how many medals we would win in the CG?

It would be an American Revolution.....

ReputationRep:
    I am not going to bite.

ReputationRep:
    The smell would be unbearable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the Commonwealth was formed before the USA got their independence

...OK, just checked. Australia and a few other nations broke from the British Empire years before the Commonwealth was formed (1949). Maybe the USA was excluded because they had been independent of Britain for over 150 years, and during that time, claimed Spanish (West Coast), French (Midwest) and Russian (Alaska) territory. Those areas just don't identify themselves with any British-ness (apart from the language).

But then again, how Cameroon, Mozambique and Rwanda joined the Commonwealth, I'll never know. (And the only reason why the Commonwealth Games still exist today, is so that England, Scotland, Wales (and Northern Ireland?) can compete separately and not as "Great Britain")

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.