Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am hopefully staying in a semi catered accommodation which includes midday and evening meals in the package. After rent has been paid I'll have £28 left over per week, is this normal for most people and what am I supposed to spend it on?

I'll need breakfasts, clothes, drinks, books, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I will have about £80 to myself after rent. I'd personally just buy home brand cereals, I'm sure that you won't need to buy cereal every week though.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you applied for everything? I'm gonna have £121 a week after rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KindofGood)
    I am hopefully staying in a semi catered accommodation which includes midday and evening meals in the package. After rent has been paid I'll have £28 left over per week, is this normal for most people and what am I supposed to spend it on?

I spend £20-30 on food depending on where I shop, ASDA being on the lower end. Books you can borrow unless you really can't find them anywhere else as a last resort. Drinks can be factored into the food budget and clothes well, if you want to buy more clothes then you'll need a job because that's a luxury and not a need item.

ReputationRep:
    Spend it on what you need. When you don't need something, you don't have to spend it just because it's there. Seems like a decent amount of money left to me, to say that you're in (semi) catered accommodation
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It won't be glamorous but that is very easy to live on.

ReputationRep:
    You should be living with your parents.

ReputationRep:
    Joys of getting minimum loan.

Get a job, money from parents?

ReputationRep:

Shop at aldi best place to shop at when you have a low budget. I used to live on £20 per week (due to some reasons with student finance in the beginning) and aldi was the place that I could get the best of the best when it came to food (could spend £10 for a week or two supply), try downloading some books as PDF to start of with I have a lib stay of e books that I got for free by just google searching the ones I needed just typed the names of the books and added PDF at the end of the names. Clothes...u can save up for that don't think u will need to but clothes every week right? Drinks, just don't spend so much and very much depends on how much drinks are at ur Uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Depends entirely on their household income. Its above £20k student finance is not meant to cover all costs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.