Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm hoping to start with the OU soon and I'm not quite sure how the finance works.
    Here's my situation..
    I'm 26, work part time from home and only earn roughly £100a week. I mainly work to stop myself going mad with boredom and to earn a bit of spending money. My husband has a well paid job, but not enough to pay the thousands of pounds fees for the course. My question is, how do they assess the finance? is it based upon personal income / household income? Will they still allow me a loan taking my husbands salary into account? Or does income not even come in to it when giving out student loans?

Any advice at all on this would be great

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is entitled to student loans irrespective of your income, or your household income. Income is only a factor if you apply for means tested maintenance loans/grants, but OU students aren't entitled to them anyway. So yes you will get a loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samual)
    Everyone is entitled to student loans irrespective of your income, or your household income. Income is only a factor if you apply for means tested maintenance loans/grants, but OU students aren't entitled to them anyway. So yes you will get a loan.
    Thanks for your advice. What about paying the loan back. I understand its after 4 Years and if you earn over 21k. How does this work? My personal income will stay the same. So does that mean I will not pay it back? Or will they then take my husband's salary into account and make HIM pay it back as we are married?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyBurge)
    Thanks for your advice. What about paying the loan back. I understand its after 4 Years and if you earn over 21k. How does this work? My personal income will stay the same. So does that mean I will not pay it back? Or will they then take my husband's salary into account and make HIM pay it back as we are married?
    No, they won't take it from your husband's salary - it isn't his loan! You will only repay it if you earn over 21k, if you don't intend to ever earn over that then you're basically doing your degree for free.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samual)
    No, they won't take it from your husband's salary - it isn't his loan! You will only repay it if you earn over 21k, if you don't intend to ever earn over that then you're basically doing your degree for free.
    What course are you doing with OU/and how big a jump is it from A-Levels? Do you find it very difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyBurge)
    What course are you doing with OU/and how big a jump is it from A-Levels? Do you find it very difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've just finished a CertHE in Humanities (so the first 1/3 of a degree). I would say it was similar in terms of difficulty to A levels. I only read the relevant chapters of books which I was being examined on, had I read them all and done all the unexamined course exercises then it would have been quite a bit harder than A levels. Level 2 and 3 modules are much harder than level 1.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.