The Student Room Group

Do you have to have someone's consent before you use them as a referee?

I'm applying for a part time job and they want me to put down the names of at least two referees but I only have one person who said that's cool. Can I just put down the name of another person and assume that they probably won't even attempt to contact that person?
Reply 1
:sexface:
**** it!, I'll just do it. It's ****ing ridiculous the amount of bureaucracy involved to get a ****ing part time job!
Original post by SirDigbyChicken
I'm applying for a part time job and they want me to put down the names of at least two referees but I only have one person who said that's cool. Can I just put down the name of another person and assume that they probably won't even attempt to contact that person?

You can't assume an employer won't contact a referee, it's quite likely that they will, especially if you are applying to a large employer and a public facing job.

The risk in not asking first is that a) the individual will feel offended that you have placed this task on them without asking first and/or b) they don't feel able to give you a good reference and so either refuse to give a reference, or give you a bad reference.

By asking someone first if they will give you a reference you a) give them a chance to say no because they don't feel they can give you a strong reference and b) have an opportunity to remind them who you are, how they know you and how much you are keen to get a job.

So there's nothing legal that says you HAVE to ask a person before you put them down as a referee, but all ways around it pays to do so.
Original post by threeportdrift
You can't assume an employer won't contact a referee, it's quite likely that they will, especially if you are applying to a large employer and a public facing job.

The risk in not asking first is that a) the individual will feel offended that you have placed this task on them without asking first and/or b) they don't feel able to give you a good reference and so either refuse to give a reference, or give you a bad reference.

By asking someone first if they will give you a reference you a) give them a chance to say no because they don't feel they can give you a strong reference and b) have an opportunity to remind them who you are, how they know you and how much you are keen to get a job.

So there's nothing legal that says you HAVE to ask a person before you put them down as a referee, but all ways around it pays to do so.

Oh ok, cool beans, thanks for the reply
I never did when applying for a masters

Quick Reply