Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Restaurant try out day and no call back - was I fooled? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been desperately looking for a job to help fund my studies so I've been applying to loads of restaurants in London on gumtree. Finally got a response the other week. Went to the interview and they barely asked me anything, just set me up for a try out day the next day (Thursday).

I show up for the try out day and did the usual grunt work for trial shifts ... polishing glasses, serving water, putting dishes in the sink, bringing out the food for the employed waiters to serve. The manager and shift supervisor were busy elsewhere the whole time and barely saw anything I did. Did my best, smiled, chatted with the other waiters, all the usual basics. At the end, the shift told me she'd let me know by Saturday, after two other people do trial shifts on Friday and Saturday.

Never received a response. On Saturday evening the ad pops up again on Gumtree.

My friend is convinced they do this all the time for free labour on busy days so their regular waiters can serve better. Any truth to this? Or is it simply that they found someone better?

ReputationRep:
    This sounds exactly like what I had to do. Applied on Gumtree and got an email for a trial shift at a coffee bar in House Of Fraiser at Oxford street. Worked 9-5 with no pay whatsoever. The manager asked me to leave my number at the end, and he'll call me if im successful. Glad he didn't, because the waiter job is a very depressing and tiring job. I think its best to apply on a well known companys site. Gumtree is just full of scams and crappy job postings!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.