Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I wish to attend the University of Ulster or Queens for a masters after I complete my BSc in Computing with the OU.
    I just sent the Uni of Ulster a question about whether they would allow me to attend as a full time mature student with the previous 2 years of credits from the OU or if I would have to wait untill I have completed my BSc. I would prefer to complete my BSc at a local Uni. I am worried that my OU degree won't be as good as a good local Uni.
    I know deep down it is still a degree but I just damn well worry. I feel very isolated at the OU. I am now going into my third year so half way done.

I know of loads of people who got a BSc at OU and then went to Queens.
    For their Masters then Phd.

Do people switch over to a different Uni half way through? Is it even possible?
    Just looking at options. The reason I started OU was due to not having A levels and the fact I had lived in America for a good number of years and also served in the military. Young family now and OU was best option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzyfeet)
    Hi.

I wish to attend the University of Ulster or Queens for a masters after I complete my BSc in Computing with the OU.
    I just sent the Uni of Ulster a question about whether they would allow me to attend as a full time mature student with the previous 2 years of credits from the OU or if I would have to wait untill I have completed my BSc. I would prefer to complete my BSc at a local Uni. I am worried that my OU degree won't be as good as a good local Uni.
    I know deep down it is still a degree but I just damn well worry. I feel very isolated at the OU. I am now going into my third year so half way done.

I know of loads of people who got a BSc at OU and then went to Queens.
    For their Masters then Phd.

Do people switch over to a different Uni half way through? Is it even possible?
    Just looking at options. The reason I started OU was due to not having A levels and the fact I had lived in America for a good number of years and also served in the military. Young family now and OU was best option.
    I'm guessing it depends on the subject matter and modules as a uni would want you to do their prerequisites to prepare you for the final year modules. The OU modules may differ in content to the brick uni modules so they might not think you have the required knowledge. As all universities differ in what they teach, how and to what detail.
    I've heard of people using first year modules as entry for a BSc at a brick uni (as L1 modules are to bring people of all standards without GCSEs/A levels etc to required level for level2 so can be almost a substitute for A levels) but not so much as credit transfer part way through a course.

If I was in your position I would personally finish the last year with the OU then apply to brick uni if I wanted a masters etc. But it will come down to what they respond with. They may want you to send them syllabus information for comparison.

As for OU degree not being seen as good, it takes a lot of commitment to juggle an OU degree with work, family etc and they are recognised more these days by other academic establishments and employers and I'm nearly finished my OU degree and have only benefitted from it and got good feedback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laalNick)
    I'm guessing it depends on the subject matter and modules as a uni would want you to do their prerequisites to prepare you for the final year modules. The OU modules may differ in content to the brick uni modules so they might not think you have the required knowledge. As all universities differ in what they teach, how and to what detail.
    I've heard of people using first year modules as entry for a BSc at a brick uni (as L1 modules are to bring people of all standards without GCSEs/A levels etc to required level for level2 so can be almost a substitute for A levels) but not so much as credit transfer part way through a course.

If I was in your position I would personally finish the last year with the OU then apply to brick uni if I wanted a masters etc. But it will come down to what they respond with. They may want you to send them syllabus information for comparison.

As for OU degree not being seen as good, it takes a lot of commitment to juggle an OU degree with work, family etc and they are recognised more these days by other academic establishments and employers and I'm nearly finished my OU degree and have only benefitted from it and got good feedback.
    I think I will finish my OU degree but what really worried me was the comments on various sites / this site that a lot of Universities do not accept OU as a valid entry to their courses.
    I know first hand that the computer science degree I am currently doing is very similar to my local Uni. I have spoke to comp sci students at it and we are on the same page. Learning the same subjects and the same Java langauge etc.
    I have questioned obtaining 2 BSc degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I think I will finish my OU degree but what really worried me was the comments on various sites / this site that a lot of Universities do not accept OU as a valid entry to their courses.
    I know first hand that the computer science degree I am currently doing is very similar to my local Uni. I have spoke to comp sci students at it and we are on the same page. Learning the same subjects and the same Java langauge etc.
    I have questioned obtaining 2 BSc degrees.
    I've been looking at masters too and so far OU hasn't been seen negatively (the only thing really holding me back is money related lol!). A lot of negative comments I've seen are from people with no first hand experience of the OU and still think it's a 'mickey mouse' university but a lot of others have left good feedback and have been to both brick and OU (like myself) and although they are different formats of learning they are both still seen as academically sound. In recent years I think OU has become more recognised, so to speak , by traditional institutions especially as many of them are now trying to almost emulate the format by offering online and distance learning courses.
    I think you should wait to hear back from the local uni then like I said they may want specific course details, syllabus etc. to see whether you are on par with their course or at least advise you better. But switching between brick universities part way through a course was a challenge too (or at least it seemed it when I was at uni) because of each uni having different syllabuses, pathways, methods etc. even when awarding the same degree title. So it's just going to come down to what they would advise really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laalNick)
    I've been looking at masters too and so far OU hasn't been seen negatively (the only thing really holding me back is money related lol!). A lot of negative comments I've seen are from people with no first hand experience of the OU and still think it's a 'mickey mouse' university but a lot of others have left good feedback and have been to both brick and OU (like myself) and although they are different formats of learning they are both still seen as academically sound. In recent years I think OU has become more recognised, so to speak , by traditional institutions especially as many of them are now trying to almost emulate the format by offering online and distance learning courses.
    I think you should wait to hear back from the local uni then like I said they may want specific course details, syllabus etc. to see whether you are on par with their course or at least advise you better. But switching between brick universities part way through a course was a challenge too (or at least it seemed it when I was at uni) because of each uni having different syllabuses, pathways, methods etc. even when awarding the same degree title. So it's just going to come down to what they would advise really.
    Yes the funding for a Masters is a huge concern of mine. A friend graduated from the local Uni I have enquired about and for his Masters at the same place, the fee is around £10,000 from what he has mentioned and I have been at the student advice with him and it really is serious money.
    I will more than likely complete my OU degree as I have come so far and spent many many hours working towards it.
    OU is a great university and very helpful. I just feel very isolated at times and that can really affect motivation.
    My wife has applied to start at OU this year too. With young kids, it is our only real option. I really wish I had attended at a younger age when I still lived at home.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the funding for a Masters is a huge concern of mine. A friend graduated from the local Uni I have enquired about and for his Masters at the same place, the fee is around £10,000 from what he has mentioned and I have been at the student advice with him and it really is serious money.
    I will more than likely complete my OU degree as I have come so far and spent many many hours working towards it.
    OU is a great university and very helpful. I just feel very isolated at times and that can really affect motivation.
    My wife has applied to start at OU this year too. With young kids, it is our only real option. I really wish I had attended at a younger age when I still lived at home.
    Hindsight is an annoying thing. At least you show willing to continue learning that's always good!
    I know what you mean about the isolation though. I'm stuck in the North regions so no tutorials just online ones so it's not the same Oh well almost there!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to transfer into the second year of a brick uni course with OU credits, I don't know if you can transfer into the third. I suspect most universities will say no but there may be some that say yes.

If it meant graduating with a degree from a brick university, would you be prepared to transfer into the second year - in effect re-doing the second year? If you want to do a master's then it might be worth re-doing the second year if you could transfer into an integrated master's degree (e.g MSci or a MEng) because you would get student loans to cover it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samual)
    It is possible to transfer into the second year of a brick uni course with OU credits, I don't know if you can transfer into the third. I suspect most universities will say no but there may be some that say yes.

If it meant graduating with a degree from a brick university, would you be prepared to transfer into the second year - in effect re-doing the second year? If you want to do a master's then it might be worth re-doing the second year if you could transfer into an integrated master's degree (e.g MSci or a MEng) because you would get student loans to cover it.
    I was talking to my local Uni and they said I can be accepted with my current OU credits and along with a GCSE B in Maths and a C in English. I would be put into the second year as third is placement. However, I would not be able to start until 2015. My financial support has already gone through for the OU so will stick with that. Good to know I have the green light to go to the Uni of my choice.
    If I finsih my degree with OU, I do not need the GCSE's at all as my BSc will suffice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.