Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm doing an EPQ based on ecology, no need to go in to depths, I just don't really understand the idea of a null hypothesis, do I write a hypothesis that I know I'm going to disprove? Please help... So confused ..

ReputationRep:
    Read through your hypothesis again. Does it imply there is no relationship between two variables, or a certain value of a variable has not changed significantly over time? If so, Treat that as a null hypothesis.

What if my draft hypothesis was 'the Eurasian beaver should/should not be reintroduced into the UK'? How do I make it a null hypothesis ?
    Someone told me that all biology hypotheses have to be null. Is that true?
    Also do you always have to disproof a null hypothesis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That sounds more like an opinion. Ask yourself why the beaver should be reintroduced. If your answer involves the words "reduce", "increase" or anything similar, form a hypothesis using those words.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richiebee)
    What if my draft hypothesis was 'the Eurasian beaver should/should not be reintroduced into the UK'? How do I make it a null hypothesis ?
    Someone told me that all biology hypotheses have to be null. Is that true?
    Also do you always have to disproof a null hypothesis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Null hypothesis is a statistical term, used in statistical testing of a quantitative hypothesis. For example, if you were testing if area A had a higher species diversity than area B, then your null hypothesis would be 'average diversity in A = average diversity in B' and your alternate hypothesis would be 'average diversity in A =/= average diversity in B.'

However, what you are doing isn't quantitative and the statement 'the Eurasian beaver should/should not be reintroduced into the UK' isn't actually a hypothesis in the statistical sense. That statement is a conclusion really. I'm not sure whether null hypothesis would apply in your case, what justifications are you using to reach a conclusion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.