richiebee
Badges: 8
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm doing an EPQ based on ecology, no need to go in to depths, I just don't really understand the idea of a null hypothesis, do I write a hypothesis that I know I'm going to disprove? Please help... So confused ..
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Read through your hypothesis again. Does it imply there is no relationship between two variables, or a certain value of a variable has not changed significantly over time? If so, Treat that as a null hypothesis.
richiebee
Badges: 8
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What if my draft hypothesis was 'the Eurasian beaver should/should not be reintroduced into the UK'? How do I make it a null hypothesis ?
Someone told me that all biology hypotheses have to be null. Is that true?
Also do you always have to disproof a null hypothesis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That sounds more like an opinion. Ask yourself why the beaver should be reintroduced. If your answer involves the words "reduce", "increase" or anything similar, form a hypothesis using those words.
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by richiebee)
What if my draft hypothesis was 'the Eurasian beaver should/should not be reintroduced into the UK'? How do I make it a null hypothesis ?
Someone told me that all biology hypotheses have to be null. Is that true?
Also do you always have to disproof a null hypothesis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Null hypothesis is a statistical term, used in statistical testing of a quantitative hypothesis. For example, if you were testing if area A had a higher species diversity than area B, then your null hypothesis would be 'average diversity in A = average diversity in B' and your alternate hypothesis would be 'average diversity in A =/= average diversity in B.'

However, what you are doing isn't quantitative and the statement 'the Eurasian beaver should/should not be reintroduced into the UK' isn't actually a hypothesis in the statistical sense. That statement is a conclusion really. I'm not sure whether null hypothesis would apply in your case, what justifications are you using to reach a conclusion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (48)
16.11%
I'm not sure (8)
2.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (102)
34.23%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.34%
I'm not a current university student (136)
45.64%

Watched Threads