Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My colleagues relative passed away Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got this new via email and I don't know how to reply??? Plz help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just respond 'sorry for your loss' but I don't understand why everyone would get an email regarding an employee's personal life.

ReputationRep:
    '**** happens'

ReputationRep:
    Pay your condolences to them; tell your colleague that if they need any help, or if they need to talk to anyone about it, you'd be more than happy to help.

I'm not sure what their motive was in emailing you about the death of their relative, but clearly you must be of some importance to them, so keep that in mind. Its common sense, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Just say to their face - "I was very sorry to hear about your loss". If they want to talk, have a chat with them, if not, just leave it like that.

An email back at this point is pretty pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan9900)
    '**** happens'
    Not even funny in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    Respond like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Funny, lol. It is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelPhys)
    Funny, lol. It is.
    I hope your entire family burns to death. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Respond with condolences, offer any additional support you are comfortable offering. That is pretty much it.

If you know them well offer to take them out to get raucously drunk. That is what I'd want.

ReputationRep:
    I hope your entire family burns to death. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    Pay your condolences to them; tell your colleague that if they need any help, or if they need to talk to anyone about it, you'd be more than happy to help.

I'm not sure what their motive was in emailing you about the death of their relative, but clearly you must be of some importance to them, so keep that in mind. Its common sense, tbh.
    Thanks. I needed an update on something so she replied saying she left office early cuz you-know-what.

The nicest thing I can say is you can finish it by the end of this week but I'm really not in a position to say let me know if I can help???

"I'm sorry for your loss."?? Is it too late to reply now? (email was sent 20 mins ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Just respond 'sorry for your loss' but I don't understand why everyone would get an email regarding an employee's personal life.
    Can't multiquote

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    It's not like I said it to the colleague in question is it? It's a pointless thread anyway, it's obvious what you would reply.

ReputationRep:
    It's not like I said it to the colleague in question is it? It's a pointless thread anyway, it's obvious what you would reply.
    No it's not... While I was googling I came across several posters who said they didn't know what to say!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TroyAndAbed)
    Troy and Abed in the moooooorninnng

OP just don't reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    No it's not... While I was googling I came across several posters who said they didn't know what to say!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well you're just an awkward/heartless bunch then. A fairly standard response of 'Sorry for your loss/I'm here if you want to talk' would suffice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    Thanks. I needed an update on something so she replied saying she left office early cuz you-know-what.

The nicest thing I can say is you can finish it by the end of this week but I'm really not in a position to say let me know if I can help???

"I'm sorry for your loss."?? Is it too late to reply now? (email was sent 20 mins ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't multiquote
    Gerrard isn't ****, okay? Pshh. Saying Gerrard should stop playing for LFC..

ReputationRep:
    '**** happens'
    Don't say this one. I tried it at a funeral once. It wasn't taken as a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Don't say this one. I tried it at a funeral once. It wasn't taken as a joke.
    Hahaha. Finally, someone with a sense of humour.

Luckily, I've never actually been to a funeral. I think I'd be pretty dangerous let loose inside a church at such a sensitive occasion. Not for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.