Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!

My teacher have asked us to look at different texts over the summer so we can decide a coursework question in September. They have to link in someway (share a certain theme) and I really need help.

E.G

'How is Childhood represented in the texts you have looked at? (Lord Of The Flies, To Kill A Mockingbird etc...)'

I want to do a character analysis/development question like 'How far (in the texts you have studied) are protagonists considered to be heroic?'

^^^WHAT TEXTS SHOULD I STUDY FOR THIS?!^^^

However, I am open to different focus questions if you suggest them.

(I don't want to read 50+ books over the summer when we only actually need 3!)

I do A Level English Lit.

Thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    To Kill a Mockingbird is an excellent idea when considering heroism, and the nature of heroism is a theme which runs throughout the novel. I believe Of Mice and Men could also be a good study - you have a tragic hero, which is an interesting contrast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    To Kill a Mockingbird is an excellent idea when considering heroism, and the nature of heroism is a theme which runs throughout the novel. I believe Of Mice and Men could also be a good study - you have a tragic hero, which is an interesting contrast.

Hi

My only concern is that I studied To Kill A Mockingbird at GCSE, and the other class did Mice and Men. Although I'd love to do it again, I don't want to be recycling old ideas.

I want to show that I'm capable of exploring a variety of texts which we have not already covered (even if when we studied it, it wasn't in depth)

So basically I'm looking for obscure novels which are thought provoking and intriguing, and can be sculpted to different interpretations. (Controversial novels where a good argument can be made)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy Dreamer)
    Hi

My only concern is that I studied To Kill A Mockingbird at GCSE, and the other class did Mice and Men. Although I'd love to do it again, I don't want to be recycling old ideas.

I want to show that I'm capable of exploring a variety of texts which we have not already covered (even if when we studied it, it wasn't in depth)

So basically I'm looking for obscure novels which are thought provoking and intriguing, and can be sculpted to different interpretations. (Controversial novels where a good argument can be made)
    If I were allowed to choose any book to write that essay on, I would choose "In God's House" by Ray Mouton, which is a phenomenal novel about paedophilia in the church and based on a true story. However, this isn't a classic novel.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!

I want to do a character analysis/development question like 'How far (in the texts you have studied) are protagonists considered to be heroic?'

^^^WHAT TEXTS SHOULD I STUDY FOR THIS?!^^^
    It's quite unusual to decide on a specific question before reading the texts. You're better of with just looking at heroism instead. THEN, deduce your question from what you have studied and analysed in the the books you have read.

Now, you haven't said anything about what genre you have to read and also how many texts you are allowed to use. Usually for A2, it's 3 texts. Are you thinking about using poetry; 2 prose and one play, etc, etc?

Heroism is the 'basic' theme in a lot of WW1 literature. All Quiet On the Western Front, Birdsong, Regeneration, non-fiction text, Brothers in War which is a collection of letters based from 7 brothers to and fro their mother.

However, you can look at heroism in different text. For example in Bram Stoker's Dracula, there's a main character that sacrifices himself to save his friends from Dracula. You could use that. Also there's a lot of different heroic actions that take place in Dracula. Also Dorian Gray; his suicide could be an act of heroism - he has to destroy the painting, in order to save himself. You could argue it from that perspective. You could also look at Lord of the Flies. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest could be argued it displays elements of heroism - how McMurphy tries desperately hard to rebel against Nurse Ratched and her controlling matriarchal position in the psychiatric ward. He is going against her position of authority to be the "hero" to make sure the patients are treated freely and just. He ends up being "experimented" on and he lets them do this, so when in the final chapters (I won't spoil it) what happens at the end, is because of McMurphy's heroic intentions. But, heroes always have a downfall. (I looove Cuckoo's Nest)!

You didn't mention drama or poetry. Feel free to ask what I would recommend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    It's quite unusual to decide on a specific question before reading the texts. You're better of with just looking at heroism instead. THEN, deduce your question from what you have studied and analysed in the the books you have read.

Now, you haven't said anything about what genre you have to read and also how many texts you are allowed to use. Usually for A2, it's 3 texts. Are you thinking about using poetry; 2 prose and one play, etc, etc?

Heroism is the 'basic' theme in a lot of WW1 literature. All Quiet On the Western Front, Birdsong, Regeneration, non-fiction text, Brothers in War which is a collection of letters based from 7 brothers to and fro their mother.

However, you can look at heroism in different text. For example in Bram Stoker's Dracula, there's a main character that sacrifices himself to save his friends from Dracula. You could use that. Also there's a lot of different heroic actions that take place in Dracula. Also Dorian Gray; his suicide could be an act of heroism - he has to destroy the painting, in order to save himself. You could argue it from that perspective. You could also look at Lord of the Flies. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest could be argued it displays elements of heroism - how McMurphy tries desperately hard to rebel against Nurse Ratched and her controlling matriarchal position in the psychiatric ward. He is going against her position of authority to be the "hero" to make sure the patients are treated freely and just. He ends up being "experimented" on and he lets them do this, so when in the final chapters (I won't spoil it) what happens at the end, is because of McMurphy's heroic intentions. But, heroes always have a downfall. (I looove Cuckoo's Nest)!

You didn't mention drama or poetry. Feel free to ask what I would recommend.
    Hi

The only reason I am beginning to look at specific questions is so that I can start analysing texts that relate to the question over the summer in depth. I don't just want to read 20+ texts without a brief idea on what I'm looking for. Also this question is not set in stone, so it is open to change, again depending on what texts I do.

However, the rest of your advice I found very useful. We have to study three texts and because of your advice above, I am leaning towards the theme of heroism.

I'm thinking of doing To Kill A Mockingbird and using Atticus Finch as a protagonist, because of his morality in a prejudiced society (he does not conform to prejudice, however rebelling against it). Plus its from a child's perspective which will be brilliant (they idealize him, so their judgement may be inaccurate). Also Jane Eyre from a Women's perspective and how she DOES conform to society. Othello is a maybe!

I like the sound of Dorian Gray and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest so I'll definitely have a look at them too!

I'm interested in your opinions so, yes I'd like for you to keep me updated on your recommendations if you think of any more please! (to do with heroism) not too keen on poetry though but I will look if you think they share strong links.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi

The only reason I am beginning to look at specific questions is so that I can start analysing texts that relate to the question over the summer in depth. I don't just want to read 20+ texts without a brief idea on what I'm looking for. Also this question is not set in stone, so it is open to change, again depending on what texts I do.

However, the rest of your advice I found very useful. We have to study three texts and because of your advice above, I am leaning towards the theme of heroism.

I'm thinking of doing To Kill A Mockingbird and using Atticus Finch as a protagonist, because of his morality in a prejudiced society (he does not conform to prejudice, however rebelling against it). Plus its from a child's perspective which will be brilliant (they idealize him, so their judgement may be inaccurate). Also Jane Eyre from a Women's perspective and how she DOES conform to society. Othello is a maybe!

I like the sound of Dorian Gray and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest so I'll definitely have a look at them too!

I'm interested in your opinions so, yes I'd like for you to keep me updated on your recommendations if you think of any more please! (to do with heroism) not too keen on poetry though but I will look if you think they share strong links.

I know what you mean about the title. I did that at the start of my coursework. However, I kept chopping and changing it (still relating it to morality) so I decided to just stick the the general theme of morality. THEN, after reading all through my texts (including Dorian Gray and Othello), I decided on the perfect question. But, it is your coursework

I agree with TKAM. However, have you brought this up with your teacher, as examiners would say that novel is just too much of a GCSE text. I twas used for A-level back in the years 2000-2005. But, since then it's just not up to the standard of novels like Atonement, Wuthering Heights, etc (even though Wuthering Heights, P&P are on almost every new GCSE spec).

If you wanted something of a child's stream of consciousness, you could look into The Go Between, by LP Hartley? If not, and you want something to do with race, try The Help might be good-how the white female protagonist, goes against the social norms to try and write a story about black maids and their lives. You could compare this with Kuckoo's Nest about both protagonist, do not conform to their societal environment and try to break out of it, by doing something outrageous? Just a thought.

I'm not keen on poetry as a genre myself, so I'm out of ideas there. However, as I said, any WW1 Literature, including poetry is very good. Perhaps your school has the anthology of Up to the Line of Death or Oxford's Book of War Poetry would be good. You could perhaps try reading a couple of books from Homer's Iliad or Odyssey? But WW1 poets like Sassoon, Owen, McCrae, Brooke and Thomas have some poems that explore the theme of heroism and comradeship.

Death of a Salesman, Willy looses his job, and then becomes depressed because he can't provide for his family. Left in turmoil, he commits suicide so his family can have compensation and have money so they can live a successful life. This drama could be very useful in determining whether Willy was actually a hero, or just a coward to not face his family and not live with the ordeal with them. I haven't read nor seen this play. Even though I have got it downstairs! But it is a very depressing play though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.