Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Having attended Kaplan and studied for Prof Level, Audit Assurance, Tax Compliance and FAR I have failed all 3 exams. As there are mitigating circs(health issues etc) my firm are prepared to let me re-sit.
    My preference is to do so next March (health issues hopefully sorted by then) but what Im not sure of is if the study materials/syllabus for all/any of these exams will remain the same or if I will have to go back to college/obtain new study manuals etc.?

If anyone out there has any info Id be most grateful.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I would suggest re-sitting earlier if you think you can.

By January when you start revising again your knowledge will be 0. Unless you didn't really learn anything the first time round you are essentially wasting a lot of time that you have already spent studying.

In addition it removes the issue of syllabi changing.

In answer to your actual question, for me, studying ICAS, we were just given an appendix which noted the minimal changes to the course.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't think there are any excuses that they'd accept for failing all 3 exams. . . Better start thinking about resitting and finding another firm to train with.

If it were me, I d resit an exam on my own to prove I am committed and then finding another training firm because if you apply to another firm now, the first question they would ask you is "Why did you fail the 3 exams?" and unless you have an adequate excuse backed up with evidence, they are unlikely to consider you.

ReputationRep:
    As you’re already on the new “evolved” ACA syllabus, they’re not likely to change much at all. Some new tax rates and minor updates per the most recent finance act, and maybe a few tweaks to the IFRSs.

Going back to college is something you’ll have to discuss with your firm. As there are mitigating circumstances, there’s a chance they’ll give you more time in college before your resit (I have seen this happening at a big4), but it depends on the facts and circumstances.

You’ll be able to pick up new learning materials from https://www.gillards.com/icaew/ if needed. For FAR and Audit, I’d probably use the same study manuals and question banks, but it might be worth buying the tax books, and definitely the open book (if it’s still used within the new syllabus?) with the updated tax rates.

Good luck with your resits!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=absurdity69;48655440]To be honest, I don't think there are any excuses that they'd accept for failing all 3 exams. . . Better start thinking about resitting and finding another firm to train with.

If it were me, I d resit an exam on my own to prove I am committed and then finding another training firm because if you apply to another firm now, the first question they would ask you is "Why did you fail the 3 exams?" and unless you have an adequate excuse backed up with evidence, they are unlikely to consider you.[/QUO

Thanks for your thoughts on this. BTW my firm are allowing me to resit because they are satisfied there is genuine mitigation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monk_keys)
    To be honest I would suggest re-sitting earlier if you think you can.

By January when you start revising again your knowledge will be 0. Unless you didn't really learn anything the first time round you are essentially wasting a lot of time that you have already spent studying.

In addition it removes the issue of syllabi changing.

In answer to your actual question, for me, studying ICAS, we were just given an appendix which noted the minimal changes to the course.
    Thanks for this and I know what you mean re the risk of "knowledge drain" the longer I leave it to re-sit. Ive just got to balance that risk with the risk of failing again if im not in "tip top" health. I know my firm wont be as supportive next time around. Its a tough call!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.