Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to decide between a major in International Relations and International Business. Politics is my biggest passion and I speak three European languages fluently - I'd like to ideally work for an EU body or the UN. However, I know how scarce and competitive these jobs are, *especially* if you don't have parents with mega-money to fund you through unpaid internships and the like.
    My grades are pretty good, except mediocre in maths - I got 9 A*s at GCSE and the 1 B in Maths so I declined to take business or maths at A-level and got AAB in Politics, German and French.
    However, I feel, pragmatically, as I desperately need to get a job upon graduation (can't live with my parents - long story I won't confuse things by adding it to this thread), I will stand a far better chance of employment straight away post-uni with business. I've had a few years out from school anyway due to family issues, so I'll be a mature student and don't really want to take up more time doing a Masters as well - which is, I've heard, what a lot of politics students do anyway. So, I've been thinking along the lines of business and/or esp marketing, as I think I'd be good at it and it doesn't seem to involve ridiculous amounts of maths.
    I've self-taught a lot about marketing and general business acumen (book-keeping, finance - pretty much to an A-level standard) and am told I may soon be offered a management position in my current bar-tending job.
    But let's say I don't make manager (and hence won't have experience) - could I get a degree in politics and go into business? Or would that require more formal education to do so?
    I'd be much likelier to struggle with the maths side of Business, but could easily get at least a 2:1 in International Relations, I'd just worry about employment after.
    Advice much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Up!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much on the subjects (but IR sounds so interesting!) but think of it this way - would you be happy in IB five years after you finish/during your degree?

ReputationRep:
    Can't you do a politics degree instead?

ReputationRep:
    I do IB at Sheffield and absolutely love it, I'm moving to Hong Kong next month to do my second year at CUHK so really would recommend it to anyone. However, just please please do what you enjoy the most. Don't do something because you think you might get a better job at the end of it, it's not worth the risk if you hate it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd understand your point lauramercier under normal circumstances, but uni is for 3/4 years, job after is for LIFE. I'm thinking if I struggle a bit with maths now and be employed later, rather than finish uni with a politics degree and be STUCK. I literally can't afford to be stuck, because I have no parents to go back and live with, like so many people I know who did politics and sociology etc.

Any more advice appreciated.

If I could demonstrate commercial knowledge to employers another way I'd do it. Thanks a lot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.