Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm going to start my SCITT placement in September, I've currently got a HP laptop which has slowed down drastically over the last 6 months, I've cleaned it off, deleted hundreds of photos, removed most of my music and cleaned all the cookies. But to no avail, it isn't speeding up again.

I'm looking to invest in a new laptop in September for my course, but I'm not sure what to go for!

I'll basically need it for lesson planning (Word, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint) storing some videos, pictures and music and for basic every day needs- answering e-mails, etc.

I don't game and I'll watch the odd DVD here and there and catch up with programmes on demand.

Any models that would benefit from this? Any models I should avoid?

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amzhs)
    Hi

I'm going to start my SCITT placement in September, I've currently got a HP laptop which has slowed down drastically over the last 6 months, I've cleaned it off, deleted hundreds of photos, removed most of my music and cleaned all the cookies. But to no avail, it isn't speeding up again.

I'm looking to invest in a new laptop in September for my course, but I'm not sure what to go for!

I'll basically need it for lesson planning (Word, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint) storing some videos, pictures and music and for basic every day needs- answering e-mails, etc.

I don't game and I'll watch the odd DVD here and there and catch up with programmes on demand.

Any models that would benefit from this? Any models I should avoid?

Thank you!!
    I'm no computer expert but I was also in a similar situation as you a few days ago(I'm gonna start uni in sept, and just bought a new laptop)

After hours of 'research', I can summarise it in a few lines. A lot of people say Thinkpads(Lenovo) have a long battery life, portability wise macbooks are the way to go, HP is an all rounder, and Acer is for those who want a bargain. For good graphics, brands like gigabyte are value for money.

I would think any model would be fine for your needs that you have described.

Anyway here is a guide courtesy of TSR:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...p_Buying_Guide

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.