Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Considering applying for this course to start in October and wondering if any one has done (or currently doing) this subject?
    Also, if any one can explain how the application process works and how long it all takes that would be really helpful. Wondering if I am too late to apply for October start?

ReputationRep:
    You are not too late to apply for October. My wife is currently in process of applying. Plenty of time yet.
    I am entering my third year at OU and I find it is a very good option for those who can't attend a local uni for whatever reasons.
    It can be very isolating at times, well, in my experience.

You apply for the course, the reserve a spot and then you select what financial options are suited to your situation. I live in N.Ireland and here, if you earn under certain amount / on benefits you get student grants. I have paid maybe £150 of my degree in past 2 years. I have young kids and that really helped get me higher grants.
    I know England,Scotland, Wales has a different grant system than here.

I can have grants for up to 6 years in N.Ireland.
    No idea if that covers a Masters, I believe not.

The OU are very quick at dealing with your application and are very helpful. I have never had a bad experience with them.
    If you get in and sorted with payment you will then recieve all coursework / books etc in the post. Access to your module forums / tutor groups etc.
    You will attend local classes once a month normally. Online classes too.
    TMA's ( coursework modules ) are to be submitted every few months usually and these count towards your overall grades.
    You will go sit exams once a year.
    That is about the jist of it.

ReputationRep:
    i think they are doing a free version on openlearn at the moment, you could check that out http://www.open.edu/openlearn/future...sic-psychology
    i wouldn't recommend a full degree with OU but some of the modules as standalones can be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winalotuk)
    i think they are doing a free version on openlearn at the moment, you could check that out http://www.open.edu/openlearn/future...sic-psychology
    i wouldn't recommend a full degree with OU but some of the modules as standalones can be good.
    Hey, thanks.
    Why wouldn't you recommend a full degree with them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Amy, hope the taster is interesting. i wouldn't recommend a full degree primarily because they changed the requirements of my strand after it had already started meaning i would have to either finish the degree more quickly than i expected to have to or pay to do additional courses beyond the 360 specified originally (am doing 120 points at level 3 this year - too much for me) and have been really crappy to deal with in trying to appeal their decision. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about other people who've been hit by that. Beyond that they are increasingly getting rid of face to face tutorials to cut costs and the online ones I've had have been really bad - i've had to use open youtube lessons rather than the tutorials where possible. the other reason is the grading, at brick uni it's 70-85% for a distinction, at OU 85-100% and so on. For a standalone course it would probably be OK. if it's just for interest rather than needing the qualification you might be able to pick up course books reasonably cheaply on ebay, amnesty or on an interlibrary loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winalotuk)
    Hi Amy, hope the taster is interesting. i wouldn't recommend a full degree primarily because they changed the requirements of my strand after it had already started meaning i would have to either finish the degree more quickly than i expected to have to or pay to do additional courses beyond the 360 specified originally (am doing 120 points at level 3 this year - too much for me) and have been really crappy to deal with in trying to appeal their decision. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about other people who've been hit by that. Beyond that they are increasingly getting rid of face to face tutorials to cut costs and the online ones I've had have been really bad - i've had to use open youtube lessons rather than the tutorials where possible. the other reason is the grading, at brick uni it's 70-85% for a distinction, at OU 85-100% and so on. For a standalone course it would probably be OK. if it's just for interest rather than needing the qualification you might be able to pick up course books reasonably cheaply on ebay, amnesty or on an interlibrary loan.
    Thanks for your advice. That's given me something to think about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Amy sorry didn't realise you meant forensic psychology as a degree rather than a module! looks like registration for a bsc closes on 11th september so if you wanted to do it up to that day it should be OK, usually registration is just saying you want to do the course and possibly picking out your first level 1 or 2 course(s) you then have a few weeks to sort out payment. if you are getting help with payment or paying in parts then you might need to get that in a bit earlier. if remember correctly the only questions are re: resident status and previous study. i don't think registering commits you to anything but should warn you if it does.

ReputationRep:
    I requested a callback on Tuesday. I was called on Wednesday and I registered and enrolled inside around 45 minutes. You have until something like the 3rd of September to register. You do NOT have to pay when you register; registration merely reserves you a place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm registered on this degree! Can't wait to start. As far as I know it's a brand new degree for 2014. A lot of modules get shared with BSc Psychology and the modules have all been redesigned and updated.

Also on this degree the first level HAS to be studied part time, but the remaining levels can be studied full time (according to the module registration page).

The FutureLearn short course was good but not representative of the degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ununpentium)
    I'm registered on this degree! Can't wait to start. As far as I know it's a brand new degree for 2014. A lot of modules get shared with BSc Psychology and the modules have all been redesigned and updated.

Also on this degree the first level HAS to be studied part time, but the remaining levels can be studied full time (according to the module registration page).

Really? That's stupid.... Why have they done it that way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They have probably done it that way because the dropout/failure rates were too high; I don't know, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lambert87)
    Really? That's stupid.... Why have they done it that way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I emailed the OU and asked them this very thing as I wanted to study full time in the first year. I was told that the module "Investigating Psychology 1" was designed to be taken only after one of the other optional choices had been completed due to content.

Make of that what you will.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ununpentium)

Hi, just being nosey, but why did you decide to start this degree at the OU? Your profile says you did an access course? Did you not like brick universities?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.