Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of buying a 27inch, 16:9, 1440p monitor (for work and films rather than gaming). However, i wasn't sure whether my computer would support it.

I currently have a lenovo z580 laptop with intel HD graphics, core i5-3210M processor. To complicate things further, i need to connect my monitor via surround sound speakers, so it goes comp -> HDMI cable -> speakers -> hdmi cable -> monitor . the speakers are onkyo HDX-22HDX which are capable of passing through HDMI 1.4 (enough data for HD 3d content, should be enough for 1440p content?).

According to http://www.notebookcheck.net/2560x14...I.92840.0.html i might have to reduce the refresh rate to 30Hz for it to work, would that be a noticable issue aswell?? A 27" 1080p monitor would probably work out better than that...

ReputationRep:
    If it is an Intel HD 4000 series then it should be fine.

If it is indeed HDMI 1.4 then that is good because if it is 1.3 then output is only 1040p.

As for 30hz vs 60hz, it generally won't make much of a difference for productivity purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    If it is an Intel HD 4000 series then it should be fine.

If it is indeed HDMI 1.4 then that is good because if it is 1.3 then output is only 1040p.

As for 30hz vs 60hz, it generally won't make much of a difference for productivity purposes.
    Yes it is HD 4000. Although i havent checked if that laptop spefically has HDMI 1.4 output. how do you know that is supports 1440p resoulutions, iknow it specifically doesn't support 2K resolutions according to the intel site.

ReputationRep:
    If you can only get 30Hz don't bother as such a low refresh rate the mouse will seem really laggy and if you ever did need to play a game your stuck at 30Hz.
    I'd just get a decent 24inch 1080p rather than a 27inch 1080p. Up close a 27 inch looks like garbage in 1080p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoundTrip)
    If you can only get 30Hz don't bother as such a low refresh rate the mouse will seem really laggy and if you ever did need to play a game your stuck at 30Hz.
    I'd just get a decent 24inch 1080p rather than a 27inch 1080p. Up close a 27 inch looks like garbage in 1080p.
    Hi yeh I already have a 24inch full hd screen. I'd prefer the larger screen for films, but of course, i wanted the 1440p for working up close with it aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoundTrip)
    Did you actually try that?

For most people, >20 fps or so would produce no noticeable lag.

(Original post by susanalbumparty)
    Yes it is HD 4000. Although i havent checked if that laptop spefically has HDMI 1.4 output. how do you know that is supports 1440p resoulutions, iknow it specifically doesn't support 2K resolutions according to the intel site.
    According to Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions
    HDMI 1.4 was released in 2009, so if it's HD 4000 (released in 2012), it most certainly is 1.4.

HD 4000 supports 1440p, but only over displayport, not HDMI. http://www.overclock.net/t/1334017/hd4000-and-1440p/10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
    Did you actually try that?

For most people, >20 fps or so would produce no noticeable lag.
    Yeah for some reason when connecting my PC to my TV is stays in film mode or something and locks at 24Hz. 30Hz isnt gonna be noticeably better than 24.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.