Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transition to another car once you passed driving test. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The transition it took you once you passed your driving test.

From the months and months of taking driving lessons, I haven't driven in another car, my question is how have you guys done driving in a car new to you for the first time?

ReputationRep:
    Took me a week or two to adjust. Passed my test in an Audi 1.6 diesel and had bought myself a 1.2 Corsa Petrol. Had to adjust to the lack of power and the difference in clutch and gas balance but I'm now driving better. Just takes a little bit of time and a little bit of patience!

ReputationRep:
    I got a car while I was still learning, so I drove in mine and my instructor's. I didn't find it that much different, they were both 1.4 it was just mine is petrol and his car was a diesel so I needed extra gas sometimes. You do get used to it pretty easily especially when you're using it a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on how similar the car you own is to the car you learnt in. I learnt & passed in a 2012 Hyundai i30, but my first car is an '04 1.4 Clio, so there was quite a noticeable difference, particularly in pedal stiffness.

As soon as I got the car I spent the first two days driving as much as possible to get myself used to the car, after about 4 days/20 hours of driving it, I was fully used to it.

ReputationRep:
    You generally learn in a nice car, and then end up getting one that is nowhere near up to standard. The clutch is often the hardest part to adjust to. It takes time but you'll get there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.