TSR Movie Madness: Horror&Thriller Group Final: The Shining v Silence of the Lambs

Watch
Poll: Horror&thriller final
The Shining (8)
27.59%
The silence of the Lambs (21)
72.41%
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).
Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Shining (1980) Stanley Kubrick's uncompromising horror is a pitch-perfect recreation of a man's descent into madness. Jack Torrance agrees to take his family and look after an isolated hotel during it's close season, as he sees this as a perfect way to cut off distractions and allow him to finish his novel. However he soon falls into the clutches of cabin fever, unable to identify supernatural hallucinations from his own reality, and the film builds to an incredibly tense climax. Always a showman, Kubrick's own promotional trailer for this film sold it as a light-hearted family comedy.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
One of only three films to collect the top five Oscars (best picture, best director, best actor, best actress, best screenplay), this film debuted Hannibal Lecter to the world as one of the most iconic horror antagonists of all time, despite only appearing on-screen for a little over 16 minutes.

just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Two very fine films.

I actually watched The Silence of the Lambs in a deserted cinema, and just as the movie rolled one other punter came in ... and sat almost right behind me, just slightly to one side. Ever so slightly unsettling.

I've gone with 'Lambs' due to it having (IMO) the better third act.
ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bloody hell, this is a tough one. Saw them both recently and I'm going with The Silence of the Lambs. Just.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Gone with silence of the Lambs.

Both great films but Hopkin's performance puts silence of the lambs just ahead in my eyes.
DeclanCochran
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Once more, didn't see this one coming. Good on Lambs though, that film is tight as a drum.
Zappaisgod
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I prefer The Shining. I just think the Cinematography is up there with 2001 and Barry Lyndon in Kubricks ouevre.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (534)
33.99%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (647)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (318)
20.24%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.58%

Watched Threads