The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JonoDrew
Reeeally heavy on the tech focus. As you say, not going into too much detail, but the policy exercise interview I found a lot easier because the material was there. I think I struggled especially because it's so boiled down - with so many exercises at FSAC you can think "OK, I buggered that one but I can do better on the next one" - but with the FSB it's all over in two hours. Made me a lot more stressed.

Take comfort in the knowledge that everyone's in the same boat by the point :smile: Sounds like it would be wise to prepare for a pretty specific line of interview questions then! Thanks for the word of warning in any case!
Good luck to all the comms ppl tomorrow! (looks like there's a few of us)
Original post by Magnum Opus
I guess that means they're going to be strict about how many they accept.

Yeah, I had hoped all our applications would be considered on a more individual basis but this infers they will almost rank us and they'll be a cut off point.

Best of luck for today! Let us know how it goes :-)
Reply 3143
How many people do people think made it through to the GCS FSB?, Good luck everyone that has it today!
Reeeally heavy on the tech focus. As you say, not going into too much detail, but the policy exercise interview I found a lot easier because the material was there. I think I struggled especially because it's so boiled down - with so many exercises at FSAC you can think "OK, I buggered that one but I can do better on the next one" - but with the FSB it's all over in two hours. Made me a lot more stressed.

Interesting. In the DaT FSB guide it says "You will not be required to demonstrate any specific technical knowledge or project managementtraining in either the practical exercise or the interview." and they specified that previous tech knowledge it not essential but that you must be able to demonstrate an interest in technology.

How do you think your FSB compared to those guidelines? Do you feel that your interview contradicted the guidelines?
Original post by jealsrealdeal
Interesting. In the DaT FSB guide it says "You will not be required to demonstrate any specific technical knowledge or project management training in either the practical exercise or the interview." and they specified that previous tech knowledge it not essential but that you must be able to demonstrate an interest in technology.

How do you think your FSB compared to those guidelines? Do you feel that your interview contradicted the guidelines?

No, I wouldn't have said so - the problem wasn't the technical knowledge (which, ironically, I do have) but where the questions went. Looking back it's easy to say I should have been able to predict them, but then that's hindsight for you.
No, I wouldn't have said so - the problem wasn't the technical knowledge (which, ironically, I do have) but where the questions went. Looking back it's easy to say I should have been able to predict them, but then that's hindsight for you.

Ah, fair enough! Well fingers crossed anyway. I've come out of interviews before feeling confident, only to not get the position. I've come out of others feeling like I didn't do well, and then was offered the job!
Original post by AlFS94
How many people do people think made it through to the GCS FSB?, Good luck everyone that has it today!

Hmmm I'm really not sure! At mine there was a morning and afternoon session, with 13 people for the Comms FSB in total... No idea how many of these days there are though!
For anyone on the finance or internal audit schemes, I've seen on the Facebook group there is going to be a 'discovery day' on June 10th to meet others in your cohort and people in the civil service involved in the finance scheme.

would be good to go but awkward to try and explain taking the day off to my current work, with it being on a Wednesday I can't exactly pass it off as a long weekend!
How did those attending find Friday's GCS FSB?
I think in hindsight it went 'ok' if not well... but I ended with the role play which has distorted my perspective on things a bit... I've come to accept we're all in the same boat and if anyone does manage to blow it out of the water then they damn well deserve to get onto the stream!
Original post by Magnum Opus
I think in hindsight it went 'ok' if not well... but I ended with the role play which has distorted my perspective on things a bit... I've come to accept we're all in the same boat and if anyone does manage to blow it out of the water then they damn well deserve to get onto the stream!

Haha, yes, having the role play last overrode my evaluation of the other exercises. I agree! Hopefully the wait will go quickly now. Well done :-)
Reply 3152
Original post by thursdayJ
Hmmm I'm really not sure! At mine there was a morning and afternoon session, with 13 people for the Comms FSB in total... No idea how many of these days there are though!

The last ones are next week I know there is one on the Tuesday but not sure about any others, mine had a similar number guessing maybe more than 50 or 60 then. Hopefully with it ending next week they will put us out of our misery soon! I think the waiting is the worst part!
Reply 3153
Hi GCS fast streamers,

I had the opposite, quite a good role play but terrible written exercise.
It's a shame we have to wait until May now but best of luck!
Im hoping that, for once, Parity are just being cautious and we'll actually hear back within two weeks
(I know I'm an optimistic fool...)
Reply 3155
Any news on when the results of the DS FSB will be released?
I emailed the address given in the FSB guide last week and received a very nice response last Friday apologising for the delay and saying they hoped mid May
Reply 3157
Original post by berlinyorky
I emailed the address given in the FSB guide last week and received a very nice response last Friday apologising for the delay and saying they hoped mid May

thanks
I'm guessing JonoDrew is implying they're not sure they want to work for the incoming government. All I'd say is it's a long term career path that requires impartiality. Those are the main two things that need to be weighed up.
If you want to be a civil servant you are going to serve under all sorts of governments, all of which you have to do your best for, regardless of your views. Honesty, integrity, impartiality and objectivity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending