The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone, I'm applying for 2016 entry and I was wondering what the pass rate is for the verbal and numerical reasoning tests.
I got all the paper work from Parity requesting documents and referee details, I haven't submitted them yet. Has anyone heard from a department before they submitted to Parity?

Re: the job offers, I think they're mostly going to be from HMRC as they are currently recruiting externally for 350 posts (https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi?SID=b3duZXI9NTA3MDAwMCZqb2JsaXN0X3ZpZXdfdmFjPTE0NjE3MzQmcGFnZWFjdGlvbj12aWV3dmFjYnlqb2JsaXN0JnBhZ2VjbGFzcz1Kb2JzJmNzb3VyY2U9Y3Nmc2VhcmNoJnNlYXJjaF9zbGljZV9jdXJyZW50PTImb3duZXJ0eXBlPWZhaXImdXNlcnNlYXJjaGNvbnRleHQ9ODM4MDEyOCZyZXFzaWc9MTQ0MTI4MjMzNS0wNzhjNDI0ZmM1ZmYzYjNiMzgxZDYxZDQ4MzM0MDQ4ZTBjNTBjMzg1
Original post by mazzamaz
I got all the paper work from Parity requesting documents and referee details, I haven't submitted them yet. Has anyone heard from a department before they submitted to Parity?

Re: the job offers, I think they're mostly going to be from HMRC as they are currently recruiting externally for 350 posts (https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi?SID=b3duZXI9NTA3MDAwMCZqb2JsaXN0X3ZpZXdfdmFjPTE0NjE3MzQmcGFnZWFjdGlvbj12aWV3dmFjYnlqb2JsaXN0JnBhZ2VjbGFzcz1Kb2JzJmNzb3VyY2U9Y3Nmc2VhcmNoJnNlYXJjaF9zbGljZV9jdXJyZW50PTImb3duZXJ0eXBlPWZhaXImdXNlcnNlYXJjaGNvbnRleHQ9ODM4MDEyOCZyZXFzaWc9MTQ0MTI4MjMzNS0wNzhjNDI0ZmM1ZmYzYjNiMzgxZDYxZDQ4MzM0MDQ4ZTBjNTBjMzg1

Not sure on your first point as I received an email from CSR about two days after I submitted my forms. I think it's two separate departments and one isn't necessarily dependent on the other.

Re: the job offers, HMRC are definitely on a recruitment drive. There's been an advert on that site for 420 'officer' and 'higher officer' roles in compliance until this week.
The HMRC roles look really interesting. I just want to hear now though, the waiting is killing me. Haha.
Original post by TritonSails
Yes, it looks interesting and I think I'm unlikely to get any better offer at this point. Thanks!

I got 15.7 IIRC

Does anyone know if you get paid for your first month of work at the end of that month or do you have to do 2 months before you get paid? Also how far away is your start date may I ask? (sorry just anxious to start making money)
So I've received an offer from the Defence Equipment and Support Department. Unfortunately I think I might have to decline it as they're based in Bristol (not sure yet whether the job is, but it's fairly likely). Anyone know if the CS can match you up to another job if you decline one?
Original post by Billydodger
Does anyone know if you get paid for your first month of work at the end of that month or do you have to do 2 months before you get paid? Also how far away is your start date may I ask? (sorry just anxious to start making money)

I'm not sure any job would only pay you after two months in?

I started already. You get paid at the end of the month, that's pretty standard. My department also offers to pay new-starters by the fortnight for the first few months which is pretty helpful.
Original post by TritonSails
I'm not sure any job would only pay you after two months in?

I started already. You get paid at the end of the month, that's pretty standard. My department also offers to pay new-starters by the fortnight for the first few months which is pretty helpful.

I've not heard anything from anyone, they said they were going to send out my contract last week and get in touch about further security clearances - but nothing! So so frustrating.
Original post by robboadam31
So I've received an offer from the Defence Equipment and Support Department. Unfortunately I think I might have to decline it as they're based in Bristol (not sure yet whether the job is, but it's fairly likely). Anyone know if the CS can match you up to another job if you decline one?

It's only their headquarters that are in Bristol, they state that they employ all across the UK & even overseas. Hopefully you'll get somewhere closer.

Where are you, btw?
Original post by JHart1865
It's only their headquarters that are in Bristol, they state that they employ all across the UK & even overseas. Hopefully you'll get somewhere closer.

Where are you, btw?

I'm in London and unfortunately fairly settled there with my partner. I said I have a preference for London (didn't want to rule anything out) in my forms so I hope they've found me something that's at least a manageable commute away.
I'm in London and unfortunately fairly settled there with my partner. I said I have a preference for London (didn't want to rule anything out) in my forms so I hope they've found me something that's at least a manageable commute away.

Ah right, not an ideal place to work then. Like you, I didn't put any geographical constraints down, but did put a preference down for Yorkshire.

Not sure if they'd be able to offer you something else, I'm sure it was covered in one of the initial emails though.

Just hope the office they want to send you to is more ideal.
Ah right, not an ideal place to work then. Like you, I didn't put any geographical constraints down, but did put a preference down for Yorkshire.

Not sure if they'd be able to offer you something else, I'm sure it was covered in one of the initial emails though.

Just hope the office they want to send you to is more ideal.

Yeah, I should've been more limiting with my constraints, but really thought pretty much everything was in London anyway. Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and move to Bristol - after all this effort, I don't wanna be rejecting offers now.

Just a question, did you manage to get a role in Yorkshire, or are you moving down to London?
Yeah, I should've been more limiting with my constraints, but really thought pretty much everything was in London anyway. Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and move to Bristol - after all this effort, I don't wanna be rejecting offers now.

Just a question, did you manage to get a role in Yorkshire, or are you moving down to London?

I haven't been told yet, i'm still waiting to hear from HMRC as to where they want me. I doubt that I'd accept anything outside of Yorkshire, tbh. My partner works and it wouldn't make financial sense to move for an EO role as she'd need to find another job.
I do remember the email saying that most of the vacancies where in London, so it seems very unlucky you've got somewhere else given you put it as a preference.

Have you just been told that's your department?
Original post by miniimmy
I sent off all of my forms and disclosure Scotland just under 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet (N)

Don't worry, I heard over two weeks later. It might be even longer.
I haven't been told yet, i'm still waiting to hear from HMRC as to where they want me. I doubt that I'd accept anything outside of Yorkshire, tbh. My partner works and it wouldn't make financial sense to move for an EO role as she'd need to find another job.
I do remember the email saying that most of the vacancies where in London, so it seems very unlucky you've got somewhere else given you put it as a preference.

Have you just been told that's your department?

Yeah, I got an email yesterday saying the DE&S wants to offer me something and will be in touch by 21st September. My very sensible boyfriend keeps reminding me that I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but it's just hard not to.

I've contacted the guy who sent the email yesterday, asking for further info, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully they can find you something in Yorkshire too - HMRC really seem to be taking their time don't they?
Yeah, I got an email yesterday saying the DE&S wants to offer me something and will be in touch by 21st September. My very sensible boyfriend keeps reminding me that I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but it's just hard not to.

I've contacted the guy who sent the email yesterday, asking for further info, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully they can find you something in Yorkshire too - HMRC really seem to be taking their time don't they?

Sounds exactly like the email I got from CSR about a role in HMRC!

I'm sure you'll get placed somewhere nearer home.

HMRC are becoming a pain in the backside! If, as they say, I hear from them by mid-September, it'll have been 5-6 weeks since I received my initial email saying they want to offer me something. Not ideal at all!
Reply 3416
Hey everyone!

Looks like we're all in the same boat! Had the same email from HMRC too. I sent off all my pre-app checks and received my degree cert. back yesterday so fingers crossed they keep to the mid-Sept deadline. This week seems to be going so slow! I've been looking on older forums to see if anyone gave light on the DAS process with HMRC last year but to no avail :frown: Hopefully by this stage we all will receive an offer as long as our security checks go through ok? Fingers crossed!
Original post by Cat812
Hey everyone!

Looks like we're all in the same boat! Had the same email from HMRC too. I sent off all my pre-app checks and received my degree cert. back yesterday so fingers crossed they keep to the mid-Sept deadline. This week seems to be going so slow! I've been looking on older forums to see if anyone gave light on the DAS process with HMRC last year but to no avail :frown: Hopefully by this stage we all will receive an offer as long as our security checks go through ok? Fingers crossed!

Nobody seems to be able to find any info about it! Hate playing the waiting game.
What is everybody waiting for HMRC doing for work/money til they start? I was budgeting for an October start but that is really unlikely. I know somebody who works for HMRC who said new EO's are starting at the start of next week who were initially offered a place in June. Anybody know a good temp agency?
I'd be surprised if the start date was before Xmas. I assumed it would be January what with how many people are being recruited...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending