The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

The key is to relax, focus on the stage of the application process you're at, and enjoy the experience, rather than second-guessing the assessments/assessors or worrying about the stats - vacancies/success ratio!

Good luck, everyone! I look forward to meeting those of you that will join the scheme next year, especially members of Cohort 9 of the HR Fast Stream. It's an exciting time for Civil Service HR.
Original post by Gales
Thank you! Is the application form just personal details or questions on situations/competencies/reasons for wanting to join your chosen stream?

The Application stage involves providing details about your preferred departments & locations of work, A Levels,Degree qualifications,work experience,extracurricular activities,giving examples of the competencies required etc.
Original post by Croccifixio
The Application stage involves providing details about your preferred departments & locations of work, A Levels,Degree qualifications,work experience,extracurricular activities,giving examples of the competencies required etc.

Caution: this may be true for some schemes, especially Analytical Fast Stream, but not all. For instance, the HRFS will not ask you for 'preferred Departments and locations of work'. You're expected to be mobile in order to experience different regions! For HR, discussions resembling locations is usually raised via your HR Assignment Form, and only after confirmation that you have passed FSAC.

Also, for non-Analytical streams that do not use the application form to determine your progression to the next stage after the Online Selection Tests, competency examples are neither required on the forms nor assessed at this stage.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've just got a message stating i have passed the Application Assessment stage and have been invited to the EAC at London in November."The battle continues".
Original post by dj_macky
Caution: this may be true for some schemes but not all. For instance, the HRFS will not ask you for 'preferred Departments and locations of work'. You're expected to be mobile in order to experience different regions! For HR, discussions resembling locations is usually raised via your HR Assignment Form, and only after confirmation that you have passed FSAC.

Thanks,i wasn't aware of the above information.I can only post answers to queries based on my experience of my chosen scheme :smile:
Can somebody explain how the choices/preferences work? I'm yet to apply and am biding my time. My first choice would be Generalist (Diplomatic), but I'd like to put preferences if possible. I remember somebody saying you can apply for a few different streams, do you do the tests each time, or do you just do the whole process once and there is a place where you give details, please advise, thank you :smile:

Do you know when the closing date for Generalist is?
Reply 406
Original post by Eboracum
Can somebody explain how the choices/preferences work? I'm yet to apply and am biding my time. My first choice would be Generalist (Diplomatic), but I'd like to put preferences if possible. I remember somebody saying you can apply for a few different streams, do you do the tests each time, or do you just do the whole process once and there is a place where you give details, please advise, thank you :smile:

You only do each test one time, even if you apply for multiple streams.
Everything else you need is here:
https://www.gov.uk/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply
Reply 407
The key is to relax, focus on the stage of the application process you're at, and enjoy the experience, rather than second-guessing the assessments/assessors or worrying about the stats - vacancies/success ratio!

Good luck, everyone! I look forward to meeting those of you that will join the scheme next year, especially members of Cohort 9 of the HR Fast Stream. It's an exciting time for Civil Service HR.

Hi :smile:

I skimmed through last year's thread before applying this year to give myself some idea of what to expect so I certainly recognise your name!

How is it going for you on the Fast Stream? After all the advice and support you gave I feel like your definitely deserved your place!

Have you looked at their website? It would be a good place to start as you should find answers there about the closing dates for various schemes, and rules on scheme combinations.

As for tests, you only do them once irrespective of how many schemes you apply for. Decision on whether or not your application progresses to the next stage of the process depends on your score against the pass/fail benchmark for the respective scheme. For example, your Online Test scores might be good enough to pass the threshold for DaT but not for GFS!
Original post by kat.lev
You only do each test one time, even if you apply for multiple streams.
Everything else you need is here:
https://www.gov.uk/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply

Have you looked at their website? It would be a good place to start as you should find answers there about the closing dates for various schemes, and rules on scheme combinations.

As for tests, you only do them once irrespective of how many schemes you apply for. Decision on whether or not your application progresses to the next stage of the process depends on your score against the pass/fail benchmark for the respective scheme. For example, your Online Test scores might be good enough to pass the threshold for DaT but not for GFS!

Thank you Kat and DJ. Yes I have looked at the website. Just to clarify this, I'd be able to apply for Generalist, European, Digital and Technology and then Government and Commercial Communication service all in the same year. So four applications? And there would be a place in the application where you state these?
Original post by kat.lev
Hi :smile:

I skimmed through last year's thread before applying this year to give myself some idea of what to expect so I certainly recognise your name!

How is it going for you on the Fast Stream? After all the advice and support you gave I feel like your definitely deserved your place!

Thank you.

I'm enjoying the scheme, working with some fantastic people, and doing exciting work! So far, the HR scheme has exceeded my expectations: real job, big responsibilities from the start, enormous support network, and so many people that are really interested in your development and progress.

Moreover, most Fast Streamers that I have come across are really wonderful people, always ready to help and see you do well, and genuinely nice. Business streams and managers/leaders really value Fast Streamers!
Can't wait for it!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Croccifixio
I've just got a message stating i have passed the Application Assessment stage and have been invited to the EAC at London in November."The battle continues".

Did you have to sit the e-tray? and if so how long did you have to wait until you received your results?
Reply 413
how long did people applying for generalist have to wait before finding out results of the online selection tests (verbal/numerical)? I completed them on Saturday...
Reply 414
Original post by chjw51
how long did people applying for generalist have to wait before finding out results of the online selection tests (verbal/numerical)? I completed them on Saturday...

Hi there, I completed them in mid-September and I am still waiting :smile: Chances are you are amber-banded like myself if you have not heard by now. You mention the verbal and numerical tests above - bear in mind the competency questionnaire is also taken into account!
Reply 415
Thank you Kat and DJ. Yes I have looked at the website. Just to clarify this, I'd be able to apply for Generalist, European, Digital and Technology and then Government and Commercial Communication service all in the same year. So four applications? And there would be a place in the application where you state these?

Info is here:
https://www.gov.uk/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply#apply-to-more-than-one-fast-stream-scheme-restrictions

So you would be able to apply to GFS, EFS and DaT, but not GCS. If you apply to GCS, you won't be able to apply to anything else.

Definitely calm down though! The application isn't designed to trip you up.. there is a place for the information and you go through in steps, so it's pretty fool proof :smile:
Hey there. If I haven't got a result from the online tests yet (did it a few days ago) for the Generalist Scheme, what's the chances of getting through? Good, or more likely not?
Original post by robboadam31
Hey there. If I haven't got a result from the online tests yet (did it a few days ago) for the Generalist Scheme, what's the chances of getting through? Good, or more likely not?

No way of telling.
Is the economist scheme competitive? :holmes:

I've been shafted out already, unfortunately - I was banking on my SDIP experience, but alas I've fallen short.
(edited 9 years ago)
Dear Potential Fast Streamers,

I posted previously, that during an e-tray exercise if you select:
Most effective: Response 1
Least effective: Response 4

But actual answers were:
Most effective: Response 2
Least effective: Response 3

Or etc,
Your answer would be considered wrong and zero weightage is given.
I was almost wrong, and accept my apologies for that!
Any e-tray exercise should have the following elements to be considered to evaluate the overall performance:
1. Analysing Information and Decisive Action
2. Interpersonal Sensitivity
3. Planning and Organisational Skills
4. Strategizing and Providing Solutions
5. Written Communication and Comprehension
If you’re selecting actual Most effective response as Least effective and actual Least effective response as Most effective”, then you’re given a least credit.
Best of luck….

Quick Reply