Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Action Group final. The Dark Knight v Inception Watch

• View Poll Results: Action Group Final
    The Dark Knight
    53.73%
    Inception
    46.27%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Dark Knight (2008)
    Chris Nolan's take on the caped crusader turned Batman into the protagonist of a gritty crime drama played for realism and atmosphere, with an unforgettable performance by Heath Ledger as the Joker. The result is a film that demands your attention.

Inception (2010)
    Christopher Nolan's big budget blockbuster showed the world (and especially Hollywood studios) that expensive films could credit their audiences with intelligence and still turn a handsome profit. Dealing in dreams with large portions of the film taking place in different characters' subconscious, Nolan takes a complicated story and expresses it in a way that makes it feel wonderfully intuitive.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the Dark Knight's great and all, but c'mon . . . gotta be Inception. Masterful film.

ReputationRep:
    Christopher Nolan really is at the top of his game right now.

Much as I love Inception I actually prefer The Prestige as a fine example of the multi-layer narrative that he also deployed in the later film, and I also think that his physical direction is slightly stronger in The Dark Knight. As good as Inception is, it probably doesn't make my top 3 Nolan list.

The Dark Knight is a force of nature and gets my vote.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer inception. Not by a lot though but it's putting up a better fight than I expected.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Eep. Tough choice.

On the one hand, The Dark Knight is probably the best film of the past 10 years, in terms of popularity/influence/style.

On the other hand for me, Inception is one of my all time favourite films.

Will get back to this one. Glad to see it's a tie because it reflects how I'm feeling at the moment.. :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    On the one hand, The Dark Knight is probably the best film of the past 10 years, in terms of popularity/influence/style.
    I am fully aware that they often don't get the winners right, but TDK wasn't even nominated for the Academy Awards for any of the 'top five': best picture, best director, best actor, best actress, or best script.

Quite right, too.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Quite right, too.

What makes you say so?

ReputationRep:
    One vote in it atm.

Glad that this could also be the grand final atm.

I voted Dark Knight but don't mind who wins.

ReputationRep:
    Dark Knight for me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    What makes you say so?
    Having seen the ones that were.

ReputationRep:
    I am fully aware that they often don't get the winners right, but TDK wasn't even nominated for the Academy Awards for any of the 'top five': best picture, best director, best actor, best actress, or best script.

Quite right, too.
    For balance ...
    The Academy Awards were widely criticised for snubbing The Dark Knight.
    Despite this, it still broke the record for the highest number of nominations for a film based on a comic book / graphic novel.
    The Dark Knight saw the first ever Oscar in the major categories for a 'superhero' film (Heath Ledger).
    The omission of The Dark Knight from the short-list is widely believed to be one of the reasons why the short-list has since been expanded.
    SF notoriously under-achieves at the Oscars, see also Inception
    Christopher Nolan and his movies don't align well with the Academy Awards demographics.

Maybe you would have preferred it if we'd have included Titanic instead?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Having seen the ones that were.

To be honest, if you have nothing to say on your opinion...

Don't quote me in on it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Despite this, it still broke the record for the highest number of nominations for a film based on a comic book / graphic novel.
    The Dark Knight saw the first ever Oscar in the major categories for a 'superhero' film (Heath Ledger).
    Maybe you would have preferred it if we'd have included Titanic instead?
    One reason for that is most films based on comic books are crap, superhero films doubly so. (Yes, I know Sturgeon's law applies.)

As they're mostly a marketing exercise, cynical me suspects expanding the number of nominees had a lot more to do with increasing the number of films that could get the marketing boost of being nominated.

Titantic? Titanic yawn...

ReputationRep:
    One reason for that is most films based on comic books are crap, superhero films doubly so. (Yes, I know Sturgeon's law applies.)

As they're mostly a marketing exercise, cynical me suspects expanding the number of nominees had a lot more to do with increasing the number of films that could get the marketing boost of being nominated.

Titantic? Titanic yawn...
    Doesn't said law rather undermine your argument?
    There is anecdotal evidence that TDK did have an impact on the future number of nominees.
    Titanic was referenced due to it being the ultimate example of Oscar nonsense.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Heath Ledger's improvisation scene where he blows up the hospital means it just beats inception for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    Heath Ledger's improvisation scene where he blows up the hospital means it just beats inception for me

That scene was improv?

Only 5 votes in it. Due to the way we're working the last 16 of the overall tournament with both the winner and runner up going through from each group these two could meet again in the overall final!

ReputationRep:
    I despise both films in equal measure, but I had to go with Inception as a sort of rebuke to the bizarre levels of depth people attribute to it- it's got nowhere near the amount of nuance people seem to think it has, to me anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    That scene was improv?

Only 5 votes in it. Due to the way we're working the last 16 of the overall tournament with both the winner and runner up going through from each group these two could meet again in the overall final!
    I believe his reaction to the delayed explosion is improvised (It doesn't go off the first time he pressed the button as it was supposed to)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    That scene was improv?

(Original post by Zappaisgod)
    I believe his reaction to the delayed explosion is improvised (It doesn't go off the first time he pressed the button as it was supposed to)
    ^ This. The explosion didn't go off at the time it was meant to and so his reaction to it; is completely improv.

Heath Ledger is just supreme in The Dark Knight imho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    ^ This. The explosion didn't go off at the time it was meant to and so his reaction to it; is completely improv.

Heath Ledger is just supreme in The Dark Knight imho

Crazy, i'll have to rewatch that scene and look out for it.

This is the only close group final left really with only 3 votes splitting it atm.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.