Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Crime Group Final. The Godfather v Pulp Fiction Watch

• View Poll Results: Crime Group Final
    The Godfather
    60.98%
    Pulp Fiction
    39.02%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Godfather (1972)
    One of the most famous movies of all-time, Francis Ford Coppola's epic gangster film tracks the Corleone film over the course of a decade. With so many parts immortalised by homages, tributes and parodies, the chances are that even if you haven't seen it there is much that will feel familiar to you.

Pulp Fiction (1994)
    In a year packed with quality releases (three of which appear in this competition), Pulp Fiction managed both commercial and critical acclaim, landing the Palme D'Or from Cannes. Quentin Tarantino's most celebrated film, it plays fast and loose with the narrative structure, is packed with self-referential humour and larger-than-life characters, and features some of the biggest actors of the time, including Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta and Uma Thurman.

ReputationRep:
    I could vote either way on this, either would be deserved winners of the group.

As I've done before, if it's a virtual dead heat I go with the 'Friday night test'. And on that basis alone I vote Pulp.

ReputationRep:
    Waaaat. Pulp is winning?

ReputationRep:
    I voted pulp fiction, it's ine if my favourite, but was still expecting a huge majority for godfather.

ReputationRep:
    Voted godfather since i'm awesome. It's back in the lead.

ReputationRep:
    I dare you, I double dare all you mother****ers to vote for Godfather one more damn time! Pulp should win!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    I dare you, I double dare all you mother****ers to vote for Godfather one more damn time! Pulp should win!
    Wrong!

ReputationRep:

But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship. You don't even think to call me Mod-father. Instead, you come into my forum on the day my daughter competition poll is to be married voted on, and you ask me for a favour...

ReputationRep:
    Pleasantly surprised by this, thought the Tarantino fanboys would come out in force!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeclanCochran)
    Pleasantly surprised by this, thought the Tarantino fanboys would come out in force!
    Yeah, they tend to be quite vociferous. He's technically a very good director and he seems to get great performances from his actors, but I think 'style over substance' fits him well. His dialogue though snappy is often written in a very singular voice regardless of character or period. He also takes the whole 'paying homage' thing a bit too far (replicating scenes or using music from other films), and his movies are often seem to be more movies about movies than about real life.

Has to be said though that his influence is quite apparent in a lot of Post-Pulp films. I watched 'Things to do in Denver when you're dead' last night, and it was quite obvious that whoever wrote this film had seen Pulp Fiction and tried to be similarly 'cool' but fell wide of the mark and the dialogue was at times downright cringeworthy.

I also in recent years he's lost what originality he had with the last 4 films basically being revenge fantasies and Django was structurally terrible.

It's done well in getting this far but is nowhere near the film that The Godfather is.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely The Godfather. I like Pulp but The Godfather is just too perfect...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Anyone who doesn't vote for the godfather is wrong - There's only one film better than it, and that's the godfather II.

ReputationRep:
    One last call to reign in the Tarantino fanboys.

ReputationRep:
    One last call to reign in the Tarantino fanboys.

Not going to happen. a solid victory here for godfather in the crime group!

ReputationRep:
    Both great but Pulp Fiction is my favourite film of all time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Not going to happen. a solid victory here for godfather in the crime group!

Pulp should just because Part II isn't in the competition. It should be the exception to the non-sequel rule! Now, if this was between Pulp and Part II, I'd be like

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Bumping for Pulp

ReputationRep:
    Bumping for Pulp

Not going to happen. and after the Inception/dark Knight incident earlier today i'll be very suspicious if it suddenly does happen...

ReputationRep:
    Voted for The Godfather. Very surprised to see it on top!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.