The Student Room Group

Council Tax

Hi all,

I've decided recently that I am 90% sure I am going to take a gap year. Officially however, I will be going to Uni 2014/2015 until results day when I decide what I'm doing.

I've googled council tax and found that any student leaving full time education between 1st May - 31st October 2014 is disregarded from Council Tax until 1st November. However after that, as I am not in Full Time Education during the year 2014/2015 I gather I'm supposed to pay Council Tax but I have no idea what that means or how to figure out how much it will be.

The gov.uk website is useless and was absolutely no help. It also says you are eligible for Council Tax if you own or rent your property (I will be doing neither, I'm living with my parents), but I'm p sure I need to pay something.

Anyone know what happens with Council Tax on a Gap Year?
Reply 1
Original post by avoxgirl
(I will be doing neither, I'm living with my parents), but I'm p sure I need to pay something.

Your parents will be paying council tax, its a tax on the house.. not on the people inside it. Unless your parents are going to charge you a percentage of the tax themselves then you will have nothing to pay.
Reply 2
yeah, you MUST PAY IT...if you live with your parents then they might pay it for you but come on, you should be finding a job so by then hopefully you can afford to pay the tax yourself...if you live in a rented property then you will have to discuss it with the landlord but i doubt they would be nice enough to pay it for you...
Reply 3
council tax is around 100-120 pounds a month depending on the price of your house back in 1991, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT BAND YOU ARE IN

Quick Reply

Latest