Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I just moved out of a flat about a month ago after finishing uni, it's a flat I shared with one other friend who has also moved out.

I checked the mail box and we had water and electricity bills (we paid them 3 monthly). What would happen if we just didn't pay them? We don't live there anymore so they can't threaten to turn off our power etc and then don't have our addresses and we're both so broke right now. Would it be bad not to pay them? Or at least wait a couple of months after we've started work and are out of our huge overdrafts
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ughno)
    So I just moved out of a flat about a month ago after finishing uni, it's a flat I shared with one other friend who has also moved out.

I checked the mail box and we had water and electricity bills (we paid them 3 monthly). What would happen if we just didn't pay them? We don't live there anymore so they can't threaten to turn off our power etc and then don't have our addresses and we're both so broke right now. Would it be bad not to pay them? Or at least wait a couple of months after we've started work and are out of our huge overdrafts
    I'm not exactly sure what would happen, but I guess your Landlord will just keep both your deposits to pay it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ughno)

The utility company can take you to court which would then force you to pay. This would then incur additional costs and have a huge effect on your credit score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVNmax)
    I'm not exactly sure what would happen, but I guess your Landlord will just keep both your deposits to pay it.
    Nothing to do with the landlord. Deposits cannot be withheld due to utility bill payments.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get a massive black mark next to your name, it will catch up with you when you try to move into another property and will eventually end up ****ing up your credit big time.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ughno)

(Original post by Reue)
    Nothing to do with the landlord. Deposits cannot be withheld due to utility bill payments.

Yeah you're right actually. In that case OP, you can use the deposit money that you'll get back to pay, no?

ReputationRep:
    Technically you can get away with it.

If anyone else moves into that flat and gets these notices,and tells the landlord that they were not living there, these are bills from the previous tenants, then you will have an issue with the landlord, as these new tenants would probably stand their ground and not pay. Basically, make sure you get your deposit back before anyone finds out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.