Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does a lie detector work if you don't remember? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you did something, but honestly don't remember doing it (because you were drunk), and someone does a lie detector test on you, would it show up that you were lying if you said no?

ReputationRep:
    Most lie detectors detect arousal rather than veracity per se, the logic being that telling a lie is slightly uncomfortable and causes slight increases in breathing rate, heart rate, or skin sweating. They are generally not considered reliable enough for useful forensic purposes by researchers, despite their widespread use. They are also easy to beat (by flexing your anal sphincter if you are interested!).

Anyway, if you honestly didn't remember doing something, then your only truly honest answer would be "I don't know or I don't remember" which should not cause an arousal response. Of course, if the question were something like "did you rape this woman?", you may honestly reply that you don't know but still experience an arousal response as you are worried about whether you did or not.

If you reply "no" you may be aroused because you realize that you don't actually know and so could be lying (or at least mistaken).

There is one final possibility. You don't explicitly remember doing or not doing something, but implicitly you do. Then you may show an arousal response when you reply "no" or even "I don't know". But as far as I know, there is no research into this possibility.

ReputationRep:
    inb4 jeremy kyle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Most lie detectors detect arousal rather than veracity per se, the logic being that telling a lie is slightly uncomfortable and causes slight increases in breathing rate, heart rate, or skin sweating. They are generally not considered reliable enough for useful forensic purposes by researchers, despite their widespread use. They are also easy to beat (by flexing your anal sphincter if you are interested!).

Anyway, if you honestly didn't remember doing something, then your only truly honest answer would be "I don't know or I don't remember" which should not cause an arousal response. Of course, if the question were something like "did you rape this woman?", you may honestly reply that you don't know but still experience an arousal response as you are worried about whether you did or not.

If you reply "no" you may be aroused because you realize that you don't actually know and so could be lying (or at least mistaken).

There is one final possibility. You don't explicitly remember doing or not doing something, but implicitly you do. Then you may show an arousal response when you reply "no" or even "I don't know". But as far as I know, there is no research into this possibility.
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

(Original post by Stinkum)
    inb4 jeremy kyle
    That's why I asked haha, I just watched it and she claimed she didn't remember, but said "No" and she was lying.

Maybe they should have let her answer "I don't remember" to see if that's the truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

That's why I asked haha, I just watched it and she claimed she didn't remember, but said "No" and she was lying.

Maybe they should have let her answer "I don't remember" to see if that's the truth
    jeremy kyle swears by his beloved lie detector! Sometimes, some of the guests seem genuinely shocked at the results, they're convinced that the machine is wrong. i don't know if I trust the lie detector to be honest. I don't know who to believe - a lie detector, or a guest on the jeremy kyle show! By the way, which question did she fail - sexual intercourse, passionate kiss or sexual contact?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently you can beat it by imagining the question asked is something else

Example

"Dave have you ever had sexual intercourse with another woman during your relationship with Emma". Dave answers no, imagining the question was "Dave have you ever been to Argentina" and it shows up as the truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    jeremy kyle swears by his beloved lie detector! Sometimes, some of the guests seem genuinely shocked at the results, they're convinced that the machine is wrong. i don't know if I trust the lie detector to be honest. I don't know who to believe - a lie detector, or a guest on the jeremy kyle show! By the way, which question did she fail - sexual intercourse, passionate kiss or sexual contact?
    passionate kiss and sexual contact.

the guy did a test too, she said if he fails she'd leave him. he passed all of his, she failed and he said he'd leave her, and she was like "please don't leave me "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange crush)
    Apparently you can beat it by imagining the question asked is something else

Example

"Dave have you ever had sexual intercourse with another woman during your relationship with Emma". Dave answers no, imagining the question was "Dave have you ever been to Argentina" and it shows up as the truth
    That's interesting, reminds me of this

• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you did something, but honestly don't remember doing it (because you were drunk), and someone does a lie detector test on you, would it show up that you were lying if you said no?
    You can cheat lie detectors anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

hahahahaha :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    passionate kiss and sexual contact.

the guy did a test too, she said if he fails she'd leave him. he passed all of his, she failed and he said he'd leave her, and she was like "please don't leave me "
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

LOL

awwwww

now I really have to watch this episode!! sounds hilarious

ReputationRep:
    Lie detectors don't work, period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    Lie detectors don't work, period.
    Well, that's not really true, they are certainly more accurate than guessing (or using your naked judgement).

But, as has been said:
    - they have a very problematic false positive rate, because people can be physiologicaly aroused for reasons other than lying
    - They have a limited true positive rate (something like 70-80%)
    - They can be beaten using simple countermeasures
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's not really true, they are certainly more accurate than guessing (or using your naked judgement).

But, as has been said:
    - they have a very problematic false positive rate, because people can be physiologicaly aroused for reasons other than lying
    Woo! I said they can be cheated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

But, as has been said:
    Thus they don't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    Thus they don't work.
    Well, they work better than psychics, who REALLY don't work

ReputationRep:
    Well, they work better than psychics, who REALLY don't work
    But all those cheapo American crime dramas tell me psychics have a hotline to 'The Truth'.

lol

ReputationRep:
    Lie detector can give you accurate results and you can check someone is lying or telling the truth. So if you want to test any one then you can use polygraph machine or lie detector test and can get accurate results.

https://www.lie-detector.info/signs-of-lying/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.