Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there such a thing as becoming too tolerant Watch

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't it be more healthy to really voice an opinion that challages the issues?
    An example would be inappropriate clothing and religious clothing in public
    I have seen a few people here blindly defending things that do not need defending such as being fat or dressing a certain way
    Why should we as people have to accept and excuse odd phenomenons with the phrases it is normal
    I feel like it is so easy to be labeled a bigot,homophobe which is a word I hate and finally a racist

ReputationRep:
    Some people feel the need to be activists in my opinion. If you want enough evidence, go to Tumblr.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Shouldn't it be more healthy to really voice an opinion that challages the issues?
    I have seen a few people here blindly defending things that do not need defending such as being fat or dressing a certain way
    Why should we as people have to accept and excuse odd phenomenons with the phrases it is normal
    I feel like it is so easy to be labeled a bigot,homophobe which is a word I hate and finally a racist
    I'm just going to put this out there. If you take every characteristic of humans and get the average of each, there would be such a small group of people who fit each average that it is normal to be not normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    'Religious clothing in public' - I hear ya! The world would be a better place without those damn nuns and Jewish women with their wigs grr

ReputationRep:
    you can tolerate intolerance as long as nobody is harmed - that's my philosophy
    if someone discriminates against me for whatever irrational reason, at least my liberty is not being violated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    if someone discriminates against me for whatever irrational reason, at least my liberty is not being violated
    What if that discrimination prevents you getting employment (for example)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    What if that discrimination prevents you getting employment (for example)?
    if they, the employer, own their own private company, then who they employ (seeing as it isn't any of my business as simply a person wanting a job, unless of course I was hired, of course) is their right entirely and I'm not going to resolve a disagreement through the law/coercion because that is against the non-aggression principle

ReputationRep:
    if they, the employer, own their own private company, then who they employ (seeing as it isn't any of my business as simply a person wanting a job, unless of course I was hired, of course) is their right entirely and I'm not going to resolve a disagreement through the law/coercion because that is against the non-aggression principle
    You'd be perfectly fine living in a society where a certain group could perfectly legitimately be kept in poverty through no fault of their own?

ReputationRep:
    Do you tolerate the existence of gays?

ReputationRep:
    You'd be perfectly fine living in a society where a certain group could perfectly legitimately be kept in poverty through no fault of their own?
    a group being in poverty =/= a group being committed violence against
    but either way, in society, especially economically, the only thing that drives business is ability, not skin colour, gender, etc; if you cause one group to be looked down upon, they'll get paid less, but then that means that it will be cheaper to hire them and therefore businesses will have a huge incentive to employ them if they were rational and money-driven, and if they did, they'd out-compete all the other companies that impose upon themselves a cost to discriminate against one kind of person, e.g. the difference in cost between these two social groups.

but remember who you're talking to - a person who isn't racist, sexist, homophobic etc, just a person who prefers peace over aggression in terms of society's dispute resolutions

ReputationRep:
    a group being in poverty =/= a group being committed violence against
    but either way, in society, especially economically, the only thing that drives business is ability, not skin colour, gender, etc; if you cause one group to be looked down upon, they'll get paid less, but then that means that it will be cheaper to hire them and therefore businesses will have a huge incentive to employ them if they were rational and money-driven, and if they did, they'd out-compete all the other companies that impose upon themselves a cost to discriminate against one kind of person, e.g. the difference in cost between these two social groups.
    Tell that economic argument to black Americans in the 1950s.

There are more ways to harm people than direct violence.

ReputationRep:
    All should be tolerated, until it impinges on the liberty of others.

Fat people should be tolerated, but should be aware that their lifestyle will cause health risks and such. Similarly, drug users should be put in a situation where they are not stigmatised but warned. Fat-shaming actually leads to people putting on weight, not losing it.

Racism, homophobia and good ol' fashioned bigotry are examples of intolerance and should not be accepted. That said, the word homophobic might be used too freely at the moment: merely using the word 'gay' is not homophobic.

Religious clothing is another issue, but a slightly less clear-cut case to me. In general, I would say that freedom of expression should be tolerated unless it poses a real risk. A religion that made you wear kevlar vests and balaclavas ought not to be granted the freedom of expression that a religion that encourages high-vis jackets and clown shoes.

ReputationRep:
    There should always be a middle way of doing things, never too intolerant but still tolerant enough if you get where I'm coming from here. Looking back at my life, I spent most of my younger teenage years just accepting things people do and just generally tolerating what people said to me until I just had enough and began to be all rude and just not listening to what people said and did. But these extremes have never got me far and now I just accept that in order to get the best from life you have to be living in the middle of both extremes.
    Answering your questions, some people do accept and tolerate things and some don't and just criticise without understanding what is fully going on.

ReputationRep:
    ^This.

People are entitled to their bigoted, myopic, and irrational beliefs and opinions. They can voice these opinions if they'd like (though if they voice them too loudly in the workplace, they shouldn't be surprised if they wind up fired or in some sort of mediation session). The only time that their bigotry has no place is in policy (i.e., it's fine to hate Jewish/black/Asian/gay/female people, but don't start start systematically killing them or putting them in re-education camps or making it illegal for them to marry, get an education, choose whether or not to reproduce, etc.)

Bigotry is bad (depending on your definition of bigotry). Society would be a nicer place for more people without it. However, people should be entitled to their own opinions. I may HATE the Westboro Baptist Church, but I don't believe that they should be prevented from assembling on their own property (though they should not be allowed to disrupt military funerals on government property) and I wouldn't set off a bomb at one of their gatherings (even though I'd be doing the human race a favour if I did).

I usually completely disagree with user zippity.doodah, but in this case he is spot-on.

ReputationRep:
    But it is. I know you like to put up a tough guy act all the time, but I doubt you'd be so happy-go-lucky about people constantly insulting you all the time if it were actually happening. Discrimination is petty and harmful and is a form of intolerance that cannot really be abided by. On a small scale, no one really cares, but that doesn't mean it's okay.

(Obviously, you can choose not to care when people discriminate against you. I'm just saying don't be upset if they don't reciprocate that, which I find unlikely to happen.)

ReputationRep:
    What is considered inappropriate varies from situation to situation (i.e. you wouldn't wear a bikini to the office and you wouldn't wear a suit to the beach).

Because religious freedom exists, people should be allowed to wear whatever religious attire they want as long as it isn't putting anyone else in danger. I've found that most of the people who think that woman shouldn't be allowed to wear hijabs in public are the same people who think religious companies should be allowed to fire workers for being gay and cry that their religious freedom is being taken away if they are told they must pay for birth control like every other company and that they can't oppress gay people because they themselves are not allowed to be gay. Basically, if religious freedom exists for Christians, it should exist for every other religion (again, just as long as they aren't hurting anyone).

People say that gay people are more sensitive to homophobia than straight people... well, no ****! Everyone is more aware of discrimination directed at them than discrimination directed at their neighbours. When you are accused of being homophobic, take a second to consider what your accuser is saying. Have you just used a gay slur? If so, you are probably homophobic. If you did not do anything overtly anti-gay, then consider the source: some people can be OVERLY sensitive. I've been accused of being homophobic... and I'm an LGBT person! It is COMPLETELY possible that you are being accused of homophobia by someone who is full of it. This skit pretty much sums up my views on the issue.

Fat-- now some people are fat because of thyroid problems. People who are preventably fat make up the majority, but I wouldn't discriminate against any fat people because any given fat person could be the one with the thyroid problem... And, beyond that, how a person chooses to present themselves and how much they weigh is none of my ****ing business. I wouldn't want a fat person calling me a skinny ****, and I wouldn't call a fat person a whale. Should they be getting disability for a preventable illness? That's a good question. Obviously, many of them physically cannot work as many are bedridden, but at the same time they have the potential to be a financial burden. I don't think I'm qualified to have an opinion on this issue because I don't yet have a medical degree and I have always been underweight. What I can say is that the government didn't pay for my treatment for anorexia-- a disease that parallels obesity in that it was possibly preventable, rendered me incapable of working or attending school, and that could have killed me. Should obese people receive special treatment while anorexics who cannot afford treatment languish and die?

ReputationRep:
    Tell that economic argument to black Americans in the 1950s.

There are more ways to harm people than direct violence.
    I didn't know there was an employment problem for black people during the racist american period (the jim crow period), but still, don't you accuse me of racism just because I am a libertarian - and just because I have passionate opinions sometimes (e.g. against feminist extremism, religion, etc) that doesn't mean I am any less non-violence. quote me one message of mine where I have advocated intolerant and coercive laws. I dare you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lerjj)
    But it is. I know you like to put up a tough guy act all the time, but I doubt you'd be so happy-go-lucky about people constantly insulting you all the time if it were actually happening. Discrimination is petty and harmful and is a form of intolerance that cannot really be abided by. On a small scale, no one really cares, but that doesn't mean it's okay.

(Obviously, you can choose not to care when people discriminate against you. I'm just saying don't be upset if they don't reciprocate that, which I find unlikely to happen.)
    I'm sorry but if all people in society are truly equal, then nobody is in need of unfair and privileged governmental treatment. there are tonnes of stigma around certain groups even today - so what? they should use what they've been dealt with just like the rest of us. we're all a diverse range of individuals, some of us will be popular, some of us not, you can't fix this with governmental cosmetic treatment; for example, is there any evidence that positive discrimination has helped at least working class black people in terms of employment?

ReputationRep:
    like not deporting foreign rapists,
    allowing benefits scroungers to exist
    allowing millions of unknown people to come to our country
    allowing 50% of our laws to be created by a foreign union
    pretending barbaric religions and cultures are equal to ours ???

yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Do you tolerate the existence of gays?

To an extent yes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.