Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    This summer I am writing my Extended Project on Childhood Leukaemia, and was wondering whether anyone knew of any interesting academic articles/ websites/ online books which may be of some help?
    The main points I plan to cover is the basic causes, symptoms, treatment and outcome etc, but I also plan to focus on the ethical sides of things, and include some case study material.
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessiej1)
    Hi guys!
    This summer I am writing my Extended Project on Childhood Leukaemia, and was wondering whether anyone knew of any interesting academic articles/ websites/ online books which may be of some help?
    The main points I plan to cover is the basic causes, symptoms, treatment and outcome etc, but I also plan to focus on the ethical sides of things, and include some case study material.
    Thanks
    patient.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    Thanks
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Great resource for medical journals
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    Thanks
    Wikipedia. Although often scrutinised, wiki is very good at providing an excellent overview of a topic. However, if you actually want to cite information, then find proper literature. The easiest way is to do a google scholar search. Do things like "childhood leukaemia" + "causes" etc. Also search for leukemia (spelt the American way).

Also: If you're looking for some basic information to get started, things like Macmillan cancer are good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06shawm)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Great resource for medical journals
    How is a Sixth Form student going to use medical journals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    How is a Sixth Form student going to use medical journals?
    When I was in sixth form completing my EPQ I used medical journals and I found them a useful resource. Your supposed to use a range of academic resources: internet, books, journals etc..

Obviously one can assess their own ability on what they can understand but they allow you to go into greater depth which will ultimately get you higher marks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06shawm)
    When I was in sixth form completing my EPQ I used medical journals and I found them a useful resource. Your supposed to use a range of academic resources: internet, books, journals etc..

Obviously one can assess their own ability on what they can understand but they allow you to go into greater depth which will ultimately get you higher marks.
    I think the main issue is lack of institutional access which would limit what you can use.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    I think the main issue is lack of institutional access which would limit what you can use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats definitely true. The number of free resources is obviously limited but there are still some useful ones out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My concern was half that and half the relevance of the material, really. What on Earth would one be able to find on pubmed that actually helped with the project as it is described in the OP? The only thing I can imagine is finding some token references to articles to beef up a bibliography - articles which weren't even used in the essay.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    My concern was half that and half the relevance of the material, really. What on Earth would one be able to find on pubmed that actually helped with the project as it is described in the OP? The only thing I can imagine is finding some token references to articles to beef up a bibliography - articles which weren't even used in the essay.
    Most of it will be useless, yep. Unless OP is looking for stats on leukaemia, then he can get a decent source for them. Also there might be a good review article out there, but that's probably better found through google scholar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all of your advice, those websites look very useful! We are advised to use medical journals, and I also have a subscription to the Student BMJ which is proving to be very worthwhile!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    Thanks
    Hey I'm doing a similar thing, and kind of want to bring ethics into it.
    What ethical case studies have you found?
    Mine is slightly different as I'm focusing more on the potential for new treatments, and what ideas people have for treating leukaemia

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hpcp)
    Hey I'm doing a similar thing, and kind of want to bring ethics into it.
    What ethical case studies have you found?
    Mine is slightly different as I'm focusing more on the potential for new treatments, and what ideas people have for treating leukaemia

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi! I'm really struggling to find many good ethical case studies, but have found a few good ones with British Medical Journal. I've actually since changed mine, and am now also looking at the different treatment options available now and in the foreseeable future. How far have you gotten with yours?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.