Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Steven Gerrard retires from England duty Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Stevie G is no more - has he made the right decision and is it the right time to bow out?

Will he be remembered fondly or will his career be looked back upon as one of failure?

On the plus side, it gives free rein for youngsters like Ross Barkley to fill his shoes.

Here's a reminder of some of his best bits:

ReputationRep:
    Time to move on Stevie Me

ReputationRep:
    Don't like this obsession with having to announce your retirement from playing international football. Should purely be a case of not being picked anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Good.

I mean, he's been a quality player for a long time, but there is a time to bow out gracefully and now is that time.

ReputationRep:
    I thought he retired years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Why? He was really amazing in the world cup, England played really great in the world cup. England are a great football team.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard, for whatever reason, has not performed at the past few World Cups. Whether it is because he has had too much pressure, or a terrible squad, he has not replicated his club form. Gerrard is undoubtedly a good captain, but he made the right decision to step down. He is more of an icon of the old England which consisted of people like Lampard, Rooney and Scholes, but now England are trying to focus on the future, young squad, he has to go. Keep him on as an assistant or a coach, but his playing days in the England shirt are rightfully over.

ReputationRep:
    He was always **** in the white shirt.

ReputationRep:
    He'll be remembered as a great club player, but not as a great England player. He started promisingly enough, but his performances for England have been nowhere near as good as his performances for Liverpool.

His 4 England moments which stand out for me are:

1 His goal against Germany in 2001
    2. His dreadful backpass against France in Euro 2004 which led to the last minute penalty which Zidane scored to give France the win.
    3. His goal against the USA in the 2010 WC.
    4. His knock-on to Suarez to essentially dump England out of the WC this year.

ReputationRep:
    I guess this only means ONE thing...

come on down captain Wayne!

But yeah, like other notable midfielders, unable to replicate his performances for club at international level. The deep lying role for England was OTT in terms of the interest it generated, he struggled to replicate his club form in that role. Due to maybe not having another extra body in midfield but tbh, I doubt he'd have done well with another extra body in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    worst England captain ever.
    good riddance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I guess this only means ONE thing...

come on down captain Wayne!

But yeah, like other notable midfielders, unable to replicate his performances for club at international level. The deep lying role for England was OTT in terms of the interest it generated, he struggled to replicate his club form in that role. Due to maybe not having another extra body in midfield but tbh, I doubt he'd have done well with another extra body in anyway.
    For Liverpool he plays with Coutinho and Henderson (Allen and Lucas if injuries occur) who basically do all the running in midfield, Gerrard does not have the legs for a 2 man midfield (hooray for Hodgson for not recognising this !!) so I guess he would have done better with an extra man but to be honest, the whole team was poor so it wouldn't have been much better.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Steven Gerrard's England career:

One of the best midfielders in the world for Liverpool, but like so many other English players he's never done it for his country. Says more about the way the national team is run than any individual, imo.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated player. Don't think how it would harm England in any way.

ReputationRep:
    It was probably the right time for him, he has been a top captain although he has never been at his best for England. My only worry is that now Rooney will be next captain. I think he is a top player, but he certainly isn't captain material.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    My only worry is that now Rooney will be next captain. I think he is a top player, but he certainly isn't captain material.
    Realistically, who else is there? The only other alternatives I can see are Hart and Cahill, neither of whom are particularly inspiring options. I don't disagree with you but I think Rooney is the best of a bad bunch.

ReputationRep:
    And not a single flip was given.

ReputationRep:
    **** you all

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewduncan)
    worst England captain ever.
    good riddance
    The previous captain was worse.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 25, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.