Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In 1000 years, we will all obviously be dead and the world will be a better place.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Juxtaposing both the medieval times and now, we call hardly call our world “modern,” for little has changed. People are slaughtered/starved/maimed on a daily basis; Politicians, Priests and others in power remain resolutely corrupt; People die every single day of avoidable deaths because we are still in the dark ages as to how to cure them.
    It is evident that we humans are still in our infancy as a species, and we need to evolve more as a species to offset these horrors and injustices that take place on a daily basis. Hopefully, in 1000 years from now we will become a better more evolved species, but, for now, we are just scraping at the bottom of the barrel..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasa)
    Juxtaposing both the medieval times and now, we call hardly call our world “modern,” for little has changed. People are slaughtered/starved/maimed on a daily basis; Politicians, Priests and others in power remain resolutely corrupt; People die every single day of avoidable deaths because we are still in the dark ages as to how to cure them.
    It is evident that we humans are still in our infancy as a species, and we need to evolve more as a species to offset these horrors and injustices that take place on a daily basis.
    Humans have and may always be a divided species but some of us will still be here. For all our faults we are less than a century away from living in a system of abundance whereby we can mine asteroids, have nuclear fusion ECT..

In 1000 years we will likely have an empire.

ReputationRep:
    But if the world is bad because we consider starvation, slaughter and maiming to be bad, how can the world be a better place if we aren't there to do the considering?

ReputationRep:
    I agree to an extent.
    Societies tend to act like we've moved past humanity's plethora of depravities and injustices simply because people are living in air-conditioned homes with internet and constantly available food. 1207, 184, 1945, 2011 - makes no difference how civilisation has changed & advanced.

People are still going to kill, steal, lie, cheat, conquer, torture, distort, cover-up, rape, embezzle, preach, blame, ignore, stagnate, groupthink, pillage and disgust. The great challenges of the past persist. Human nature's ugliest stains don't disappear simply because we live in a "modern" age.

But neither has a life well-lived. Selflessness, altruism, charity, inspiration, heroism, dignity, integrity, wisdom, benevolence, courage, passion, curiosity, kindness, love and human decency are still here as well. It's always hard to focus in on the good when everything you hear on a daily basis is telling you the entire planet's gone berserk on a path towards rapid self-destruction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    I agree to an extent.
    Societies tend to act like we've moved past humanity's plethora of depravities and injustices simply because people are living in air-conditioned homes with internet and constantly available food. 1207, 184, 1945, 2011 - makes no difference how civilisation has changed & advanced.

People are still going to kill, steal, lie, cheat, conquer, torture, distort, cover-up, rape, embezzle, preach, blame, ignore, stagnate, groupthink, pillage and disgust. The great challenges of the past persist. Human nature's ugliest stains don't disappear simply because we live in a "modern" age.

But neither has a life well-lived. Selflessness, altruism, charity, inspiration, heroism, dignity, integrity, wisdom, benevolence, courage, passion, curiosity, kindness, love and human decency are still here as well. It's always hard to focus in on the good when everything you hear on a daily basis is telling you the entire planet's gone berserk on a path towards rapid self-destruction.
    That was awesome :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hope that one day scientists will rebel against the religious nutcases and massacre them into extinction... ahh.. it makes me tingle all over to think of all that advanced technology and machines used to absolutely smash up those people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasa)
    It is evident that we humans are still in our infancy as a species, and we need to evolve more as a species to offset these horrors and injustices that take place on a daily basis. Hopefully, in 1000 years from now we will become a better more evolved species, but, for now, we are just scraping at the bottom of the barrel..

An interesting perspective, one that I agree with unequivocally. I would like to add; that I think it's a little naive of us to predict confidently what the future might entail, recent science (quantum mechanics) and the insight from scientists with profound aptitude (Einstein), has giving us firm groundwork for why it's reasonable to assume that god (regardless on what it may be) has decided to play dice with the universe, meaning free will truly exists. That though has both good and bad implications; the good being that we can become the society you've described and most of us wish for - a utopia if you wish. Conversely, it doesn't have to be that way in that as long we've the ability to do malevolent, iniquitous or corrupt things, either physically or by thought alone, there is a chance that we will never see what you've described, even in a utopia, what stops one from killing another? Nothing.Sure you can take precautions, but they won't be absolute. Of course the vice verse applies also, just some food for thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    I agree to an extent.

10/10 + repped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzehWolf)
    I hope that one day scientists will rebel against the religious nutcases and massacre them into extinction... ahh.. it makes me tingle all over to think of all that advanced technology and machines used to absolutely smash up those people.
    Haha this made me laugh! Dont agree with u because a genocide of religious people doesn't seem like a gd step to reaching peace, but being an atheist myself this post makes me chuckle!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilosophicalHat)
    An interesting perspective, one that I agree with unequivocally. I would like to add; that I think it's a little naive of us to predict confidently what the future might entail, recent science (quantum mechanics) and the insight from scientists with profound aptitude (Einstein), has giving us firm groundwork for why it's reasonable to assume that god (regardless on what it may be) has decided to play dice with the universe, meaning free will truly exists. That though has both good and bad implications; the good being that we can become the society you've described and most of us wish for - a utopia if you wish. Conversely, it doesn't have to be that way in that as long we've the ability to do malevolent, iniquitous or corrupt things, either physically or by thought alone, there is a chance that we will never see what you've described, even in a utopia, what stops one from killing another? Nothing.Sure you can take precautions, but they won't be absolute. Of course the vice verse applies also, just some food for thought.
    I'm not sure utopia can exist due its subjective nature. Being simplistic, the utopia that some Marxists want is for us to live off the land in communes, the utopia I want looks more like Corrusant without the crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm not sure utopia can exist due its subjective nature. Being simplistic, the utopia that some Marxists want is for us to live off the land in communes, the utopia I want looks more like Corrusant without the crime.

I empathise deeply.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    But if the world is bad because we consider starvation, slaughter and maiming to be bad, how can the world be a better place if we aren't there to do the considering?
    Presumably the people of the future will consider their world to be better than ours, much the same way we consider 2014 to be better than 1014.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Presumably the people of the future will consider their world to be better than ours, much the same way we consider 2014 to be better than 1014.
    This is true. Certainly every person from 1400 onward probably considers things to be better than a century prior in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Used to think it was a pile of pointless crap... but honestly now think education is the way forward for the species. We're buffoons at heart, without it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.