Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    B696 - Tender Investigators Bill 2014, TSR Government

Tender Investigators Act

An Act to ensure that private firms bidding on public contracts are not allowed to promise big, bid cheap, fail and make a profit.

Preamble
    Currenty, private companies are entitled to bid on contracts for services. Theoretically this encourages competition, thus improving quality and reducing costs. However, particularly in areas involving vital services, companies are able to bid cheaply on contracts, fail and still be paid. This is commonly seen in the health service, during the Olympics and even as recently as during the Sheffield marathon

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

(1.) Definition

"Undercutting" refers to the practice of estimating the cost of a service, yet deliberately charging less with the full knowledge that you will not be able to fulfill your obligation.

"Vital Service" refers to any service that should the private contractor fail, a public sector equivalent will be necessary to bail it out.

(2.) Applicable Contracts

To qualify you must match the following criteria;
    • Be a private firm, thus excluding charities, not for profit organisations and public sector.
    • To have bid on a contract and the targets promised by said company which won the contract have not been reached.

Or if the targets were reached;
    • Evidence was found to indicate the bidding process had been compromised.

[**]For the purposes of a trial period, this bill will only apply to what the tender investigators deem a "vital service."

(3.)Tender Investigators

This bill calls for the creation of a new body called the "Tender Investigations Body." This body's job will be to investigate incidents which have been referred from (2.)

If the "Tender Investigations Body" finds evidence that the contract was not fulfilled, they have the authority to fine the company for all it's money to be refunded.

Any individuals found guilty of interfering with the bidding process to allocate the contract can be jailed for upwards of 5 years.

(4.)Independent Body
    The body must receive information in relation to each report from at least;
    • One member from the the relevant authority who ordered the contract
    • One member from the selection process
    • One member from an unsuccessful bidder
    • One member from the winning bidder

The body will work in conjunction with relevant bodies, however is solely responsible for the decision.

The body will be subject to an independent review after 1 year, and then every 2 years following.

(5.)Trial Period

For the period of one year, until 1st July 2016, this shall only apply with an additional proviso [**]

SHORT TITLE, COMMENCEMENT AND EXTENT

6. Short title
    (1) This act may be cited as the Tender Investigators Bill 2014.

7. Commencement and extent
    (1) This Act shall come into force on the first day of July 2015.
    2) This Act extends to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aye!

HAHA no :lol: Businesses should be allowed to offer cheaper, **** up and reel it in

ReputationRep:
      This is an identical bill to B676 earlier this term is it not? Precedent dictates that a Speaker disallows the re-submission of an identical bill.

I refer to Jarred's comments on 23/12/13 via PM.
      'As the item was withdrawn, I unfortunately can't really justify allowing you to resubmit it unless you wish to change it somehow. But if you do make some sort of change to justify it going up once more then I can put it up as a new item once again at the next available opportunity. Perhaps try and have a look to see if any suggestions were made in the discussion period by other members and see if you can incorporate those to differentiate it enough from the first submission. '
      • TSR Support Team
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cryptographic)
      This is an identical bill to B676 earlier this term is it not? Precedent dictates that a Speaker disallows the re-submission of an identical bill.

I refer to Jarred's comments on 23/12/13 via PM.
      'As the item was withdrawn, I unfortunately can't really justify allowing you to resubmit it unless you wish to change it somehow. But if you do make some sort of change to justify it going up once more then I can put it up as a new item once again at the next available opportunity. Perhaps try and have a look to see if any suggestions were made in the discussion period by other members and see if you can incorporate those to differentiate it enough from the first submission. '
      You beat me to it...was just looking this up myself when I thought it looked familiar.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cryptographic)
      It's a second reading.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by O133)
      It's a second reading.
      Still dubious, only 4 words different and they carry the same meaning as the 4 they replaced.

ReputationRep:
      I still think that if you get the right contract in the first place, you would not need this body. Why not give more powers to the Audit Commission instead?

ReputationRep:
      It only needed a minor change before we were satisfied. I view this as a second reading in truth, but it has to be resubmitted as a first reading.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      This is in cessation.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.