Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ideas on finding volunteers Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm blind and looking for ideas of easily finding volunteers to help me get out and about. I am based near Leeds. Ideally, I would like to set up some kind of permanaent and fairly automated system to find regular support to replace people as they get busy once they find work etc without having to put too much effort into it. I was using the Gumtree web site but they've recently changed their policies so only registered charities can advertise in the volunteering section and I've contacted the job shops at my local universities but they've told me the same thing.
    I'm not sure if I could contact the volunteering societies at my local universities instead.

The people that help me out find it useful as it's a way for them to get out and about and do something different or they can get experience for their health and socialcare courses etc.

I have also set up a facebook group to organise everyone that helps me out and over time, I plan to turn it into a social group if people want to meet like-minded people. I want to make sure I have a steady stream of volunteers though.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are you able to advertise on websites? Indeed.co.uk, Totaljobs and Employment4Students would be good places to advertise if you can

ReputationRep:
    Ask prospective med students. They'll do anything (I mean anything) for that slight advantage in their application.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I've mainly used the gumtree website so far. I've advertised in the Part time section previously but they're volunteering section was the best one as it's free to advertise in and had the best response. Students have lots of free time whilst they're job searching or they want some experience for their CV but I'm not sure how to find them i.e. prospective med students or people who are wanting to do any health or social care related course. Other job websites are more expensive to advertise in and a lot of these websites require you to be a business or registered charity.
    What are the main websites students use for job searching and / or volunteering?

ReputationRep:
    Universities are good: look at the society list, there might well be several relevant societies. In particular, don't forget about the D of E people: they might not stick around afterwards, but it's better than nothing. They have a tendency to be really bad at finding volunteering opportunities too, so they're likely to have people that are in need of volunteering spots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSam3)
    Universities are good: look at the society list, there might well be several relevant societies. In particular, don't forget about the D of E people: they might not stick around afterwards, but it's better than nothing. They have a tendency to be really bad at finding volunteering opportunities too, so they're likely to have people that are in need of volunteering spots.
    Sorry what's "D of E" people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by We Are One)
    Sorry what's "D of E" people?
    Duke of Edinborough people.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.