Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm going to be starting AS Biology this September and I want to purchase the books now to just have a scan of the content/to be used when I start the subject. (I'll also be using the same type of books for Chemistry).

Does anyone have any suggestions? These are the one's that I'm thinking of buying:

CGP
    AQA Student book (one with the girl on the front)
    Student Support Book, Biology and Disease Unit 1

I was wondering if anyone used these and would be able to give their opinion on them/any advice (such as x isn't on the specification anymore, or x doesn't cover the whole topic on this part etc).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfur)
    Hello,

I'm going to be starting AS Biology this September and I want to purchase the books now to just have a scan of the content/to be used when I start the subject. (I'll also be using the same type of books for Chemistry).

Does anyone have any suggestions? These are the one's that I'm thinking of buying:

CGP
    Student book (one with the girl on the front)

I was wondering if anyone used these and would be able to give their opinion on them/any advice (such as x isn't on the specification anymore, or x doesn't cover the whole topic on this part etc).

Thanks
    What exam board do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzehWolf)
    What exam board do you have?
    How stupid of me! AQA (I'll edit it all)

ReputationRep:
    How stupid of me! AQA (I'll edit it all)
    Hey man, I'm doing AQA in September too~
    Mhm..
    I've bought this book: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...aqa.book_BAR71

It is AS and A2, but it has EVERYTHING inside of it. It sticks to the specification (I checked) and it doesn't give any pointless + unnecessary information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzehWolf)
    Hey man, I'm doing AQA in September too~
    Mhm..
    I've bought this book: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...aqa.book_BAR71

It is AS and A2, but it has EVERYTHING inside of it. It sticks to the specification (I checked) and it doesn't give any pointless + unnecessary information.
    It's great to know that there's more of us doing AQA science!

Great, thanks for your suggestion! CGP was great for GCSEs and I'm using it for AS Maths too, which it seems to be good for - so I'll definitely get it I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

CGP
    AQA Student book (one with the girl on the front)

Thanks
    I just completed my first year and I used the AQA student book you were talking about... I didn't like it because it talks a lot of jibberish that you don't really need to know so I would recommend the CGP books in majority of your subjects ESPECIALLY CHEMISTRY. I didn't understand a thing in the AQA chemistry book because it's so unclear.

I hope that helped... Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous00)
    I just completed my first year and I used the AQA student book you were talking about... I didn't like it because it talks a lot of jibberish that you don't really need to know so I would recommend the CGP books in majority of your subjects ESPECIALLY CHEMISTRY. I didn't understand a thing in the AQA chemistry book because it's so unclear.

I hope that helped... Good luck
    Thank you very much!

Yup I know CGP simplify things a lot, but sometimes they miss things out - I guess that I'll buy a couple of books for each Science to be on the safe side, whilst using CGP as the main one.

ReputationRep:
    Specification:
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...10-W-SP-14.PDF
    Exam Papers:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...d-mark-schemes

• Before doing these I did all the summary questions and Exam-Style questions out of the Nelson-Thornes textbook.
    • My school also had a bank of past exam questions which we could use if we needed to, as although the specification has changed some of the old questions are still relevant as many topics remained the same.
    • I also did “ZigZag learning grids” which allowed me to consolidate my knowledge, there is a link for these below but it may be worth asking if your school has these available:
    • http://zigzageducation.co.uk/teachin...userid=Science

Helpful Revision Guides:

Personally, I found the that the Nelson Thornes Student Book was the most useful for revision, however lots of people in my class found the CGP books and student support materials by Collins very useful due to the simple language and consolidated note form that the books took. I have also put a link to Philip Allan books because I used these guides for Geography and found them very useful. However, I don’t know how good they are for biology.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.