Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last year I had unconditionals, but at the last minute chose to take a gap year because I was too unsure. Now I have a place on a joint honours Art/Philosophy course but I think maybe I made a mistake. I think I should have applied for Anthropology.

Maybe it is just nerves and I should just try out the art course and see if I like it? If not I can always transfer to an Anthropology course next year.

Maybe I should do the entire course, then apply for an Anthropology postgraduate? That way I have a diverse skilset.

Or should I try and apply for an Anthropology course through Clearing?

Also am I a complete failure if I decide to switch courses even AFTER I took a gap year? That would mean I am starting a degree at 20. Not that I judge mature students but I put a lot of pressure on myself personally.

Before anyone says I made rash decisions I have contemplated every possible avenue lol I am overwhelmed Random strangers on the internet, what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    If you really don't want to do the art course, don't do it. Never start a course with a view to changing it. Anthropology isn't a high demand course, and there is likely to be a good deal of choice in clearing. At the age of 20, you don't even qualify to be called a mature student, so put that out of your mind. You'll be in the youngest age bracket. If you are sure you don't want to do the art course, contact the university in advance of the results day and get yourself released into clearing in advance, because it will make life much simpler on the day.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to worry about feeling like you would be judged for being 20! I'm in my second year at 20, but my best friend in the same year as me is 24. We forget most of the time, nobody minds! If you're worried, maybe you should go to some taster days? Have you been to an Open Day? You could go to both Art/Philosophy and Anthropology sessions. At my university, UWTSD Lampeter, Anthropology and Philosophy are both available to study as BAs, but you can also do a BA Joint honours in both Anthropology and Philosophy, both of which I have studied as part of my Theology degree, and both of which I can highly commend! You can check out the joint honours course here if you are interested in combining the two disciplines. It isn't too late to get a place with us.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.