Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there any location where I can find details of the old (preferably around 1950/1960s) syllabus for A Level maths, along with any past papers/notes for these topics?

Also, which books are there that cover these topics and are still available now (it doesn't matter if they're slightly out of print as long as they're available from the internet).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silentshadows)
    Is there any location where I can find details of the old (preferably around 1950/1960s) syllabus for A Level maths, along with any past papers/notes for these topics?

Also, which books are there that cover these topics and are still available now (it doesn't matter if they're slightly out of print as long as they're available from the internet).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I doubt that you'll be able to find them. There are copyright issues which is why exam boards generally don't allow public access to old papers. Your best hope would probably be emailing the exam board and asking if you can buy old papers.

ReputationRep:
    There's a few on this site, I don't think the A Level maths one is there though (they have O level, which I think was the equivalent of GCSE)

http://www.burtongrammar.co.uk/categ...s/school-exams

ReputationRep:

search for jmb a level maths - there are plenty available
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfjmb 1965.pdf (362.5 KB, 243 views)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Books by Dakin & Porter were standard texts when I taught A level in those days.
    Porter's Further Mathematics is a free download at
    https://archive.org/details/FurtherMathematics.
    Other good standard texts are those bt Bostock & Chandler and Quadling & Ramsay for Mexchanics.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brianeverit)
    Brian could you remove the last link? It may be clean but Sabbir, the owner, is known to me and has previously distributed malware from that site. He also used to sell herbal remedies that he promised would cure cancer and diabetes but that is another story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Brian could you remove the last link? It may be clean but Sabbir, the owner, is known to me and has previously distributed malware from that site. He also used to sell herbal remedies that he promised would cure cancer and diabetes but that is another story.
    You know the oddest people.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    You know the oddest people.
    My other friend is currently serving a TSR ban.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    No, I'm not.

I have A level English Lit papers dating back to 1948 up in the attic somewhere, but I don't suppose that's any use to any one... A retiring teacher gave them to me when I was first starting out. I guess it's my turn to pass the baton on soon. It used to be possible to buy bound copies of a whole year's O level papers back in the days of the JMB. I have one for somewhere in the region of 1975 in the same pointless mouldering archive in the attic. I just can't quite bring myself to chuck them away, given their rarity, but I guess they should go. OP should try ebay, perhaps.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    No, I'm not.
    I meant "friend" not friend. I'm referring to the nutjob you asked me about the other day.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not.

(Original post by Mr M)
    I meant "friend" not friend. I'm referring to the nutjob you asked me about the other day.
    Have you 2 been seeing each other behind my back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Aahh, yes... And you certainly weren't wrong there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Have you 2 been seeing each other behind my back?
    Didn't know you were an item. Soz.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know you were an item. Soz.
    s'ok

I don't mind sharing :cool:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know you were an item
    Neither did I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Is it someone on my ignore list?

I do like to free a spot up now and then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Neither did I.
    Call me Cupid.

Actually, there aren't any old papers for sale on ebay, I'm surprised to see, given the other shedloads of ephemera and junk you can get. I suggest OP tries asking old relatives in case they saved them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.