The Student Room Group

If firearms were legal, would you own one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Monsieur Gamma
No ... guns belong to the military.

Ah yes we need to ensure that the state has the monopoly on violence.

I don't have the desire to own a gun but i find it disgusting that the state has made the decision that u can't be trusted to own one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cah846
Living in England I'm unlikely to be put in that situation. Besides, there are other ways to protect family without resorting to firepower.

Big guy with a knife has just broken in to your house, what do you do?

Call the police and wait for them to bring their guns or get your gun and deal the matter?
Original post by limetang
Ah yes we need to ensure that the state has the monopoly on violence.

I don't have the desire to own a gun but i find it disgusting that the state has made the decision that u can't be trusted to own one.

It's not because they don't trust us, it's because they are worried of the consequences.

Legalising guns means more guns on the streets which potentially means more guns for the bad peeps.
It's not because they don't trust us, it's because they are worried of the consequences.

Legalising guns means more guns on the streets which potentially means more guns for the bad peeps.

If criminals want guns criminals can get guns their being illegal isn't going to stop them by virtue of them being criminals.

A country legalising guns doesn't mean it's suddenly going to become like Detroit. It's entirely around the culture surrounding them.
If criminals want guns criminals can get guns their being illegal isn't going to stop them by virtue of them being criminals.

A country legalising guns doesn't mean it's suddenly going to become like Detroit. It's entirely around the culture surrounding them.

Like I said, making guns legal is going to mean that they'll be more (legal) guns on the street. Those guns can very easily fall into the hands of the bad guys - fact.

Besides, it's a really stupid idea.
Original post by bertstare
What about for self defence/protection of your family at home? Only a beta ****er wouldn't wanna protect their family

Got I hate that word ... makes you sound like a tool, no offence.

There are loads of non-lethal ways to defend your family ... and the guy you're replying to is right: You needs months and months of training before you have the confidence and concentration to use any kind of gun.
No. I think they're disgusting and I want absolutely nothing to do with weapons.
I wouldn't want to, I have no desire to kill anything or hurt anyone. However, if I lived in an area known for high crime then I would so I could defend myself because it would be more likely a criminal would have a gun.
Why or why not? What kind of firearm would you buy?

think theyd make a good pressie along with crayons for your kids tenth birthday

a coming of age for the big 10!

double digit mayhem
I'd get one of these:

Reply 130
I would own some kind of 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun for when the zombie apocalypse comes or if society collapses.

Maybe an M1911 too, come to think of it.

Gotta be prepared, man.
sorry can't hear you over the sound of my freedom, brb back to back world war champs, brb youd be speaking german if it wasnt for us, brb shut it u tea drinking pip pip cheerio crooked teeth motherfuker

Lel, this guy though .... If it weren't for us Irish you ***** wouldn't exist!
Like I said, making guns legal is going to mean that they'll be more (legal) guns on the street. Those guns can very easily fall into the hands of the bad guys - fact.

Those guns are already in the hands of the bad guys. I'm not responsible for somebody else's actions with a firearm and nor are any other law abiding citizens. Because somebody else might cause harm doesn't explain why I shouldn't be allowed to own one, and also that's not universally the case that bad guys get them and are super violent with them.

Switzerland is the prime example of a country where gun ownerships isn't just legal it's mandatory and where gun crime is low.

And besides it's really not a stupid idea (good counter argument right)?
Those guns are already in the hands of the bad guys. I'm not responsible for somebody else's actions with a firearm and nor are any other law abiding citizens. Because somebody else might cause harm doesn't explain why I shouldn't be allowed to own one, and also that's not universally the case that bad guys get them and are super violent with them.

Switzerland is the prime example of a country where gun ownerships isn't just legal it's mandatory and where gun crime is low.

And besides it's really not a stupid idea (good counter argument right)?

Wait until someone robs your gun and shoots and kills someone with it ... guess what you're as responsible as the guy that shot it :smile:

There are around 3,400,000 private legally owned firearms in the UK, 6.6 per 100 people. Last year there were 41 homicides using firearms. And we have one of the strictest firearms systems in the world.

Now lets compare that to another European country. France has around 19,000,000 legally owned firearms (privately owned), 9.6 guns per 100 people. Now we look at their homicide by firearms which is actually lower than the UK with just 35. They have over 5 times more firearms yet they still have less homicides. France are ranked 12th in the world for gun ownership per capita.

More gun does not mean more "bad people" with guns. Almost anyone in Britain without a criminal record is able to own a shotgun. They don't even need intent to use it for shooting purposes. There will always be an illegal weapons trade whether or not guns are legal or not. Drugs have been illegal for hundreds of years all over the world yet the market is worth around $350 billion and accounts for 1% of total global trade.

Just because they are illegal to own with out a license does not mean it will stop criminals, they are criminals for a reason.
Reply 135
Wait until someone robs your gun and shoots and kills someone with it ... guess what you're as responsible as the guy that shot it :smile:

Typical liberal emotional response

I'm going to give you a change to think about what you said there, because you cannot possibly believe that.

I own a car. Am I responsible if somebody steels that and runs over someone with it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
Big guy with a knife has just broken in to your house, what do you do?

Call the police and wait for them to bring their guns or get your gun and deal the matter?

Call the police, run, hide, grab a knife myself if I have to...
Original post by cah846
Call the police, run, hide, grab a knife myself if I have to...

Would you not feel safer if you had the upper hand in the situation? In a life or death situation would you not rather be able to effectively protect yourself?

I know I would feel much safer with a gun rather than a knife.
Real men fight unarmed. but if everyone had one than I would aswell because I don't fancy my chances against a bullet

Quick Reply

Latest