Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever taken a gap year because they were unsure what they wanted to do straight out of school, taken one and STILL not known? I am in that situation, I think I have picked the wrong course and if I end up transferring am I going to look like an indecisive failure? Help

ReputationRep:
    Why you unsure bout your choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Why you unsure bout your choice?
    I applied to an Art/Philosophy joint honours, but now I'm thinking I should have applied to Social Anthropology instead. Because the Anthropology course is in a different city so it would have pushed me out of my comfort zone, and also career wise it may be better? I want to be a writer (I know) and the path to that isn't clear cut haha But maybe it's just nerves.....urgh I wish I just KNEW what the right thing to do was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mountains)
    I applied to an Art/Philosophy joint honours, but now I'm thinking I should have applied to Social Anthropology instead. Because the Anthropology course is in a different city so it would have pushed me out of my comfort zone, and also career wise it may be better? I want to be a writer (I know) and the path to that isn't clear cut haha But maybe it's just nerves.....urgh I wish I just KNEW what the right thing to do was.
    Is the decision already finalised? i.e. accepted the course?
    Personally I wouldn't do joint honours; but rather pick one thing specifically. In my case I did psychology. Though wouldn't worry about that.
    Writing can be hard to get into professionally? I would go for something which would offer you something to do as a backup, failing writing, or at least something to support you starting up.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be a writer why don't you do a creative writing degree - there are about 180 courses on offer in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Is the decision already finalised? i.e. accepted the course?
    Personally I wouldn't do joint honours; but rather pick one thing specifically. In my case I did psychology. Though wouldn't worry about that.
    Writing can be hard to get into professionally? I would go for something which would offer you something to do as a backup, failing writing, or at least something to support you starting up.
    Yeah it's finalised! And I agree with you about writing being hard to get into. The back-up thing is a pretty good plan, I suppose both degrees would offer me that "back-up" opportunity....

(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    If you want to be a writer why don't you do a creative writing degree - there are about 180 courses on offer in the UK
    None in Scotland, unfortunately! That's part of the reason I chose Art/Philosophy...it seemed creative, but also "wordy" with the Philosophy side...

Sorry I'm totally rambling haha. Thank you both for replying

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's finalised! And I agree with you about writing being hard to get into. The back-up thing is a pretty good plan, I suppose both degrees would offer me that "back-up" opportunity....

None in Scotland, unfortunately! That's part of the reason I chose Art/Philosophy...it seemed creative, but also "wordy" with the Philosophy side...

Sorry I'm totally rambling haha. Thank you both for replying
    Aberdeen, Dundee and Strathclyde were in Scotland the last time I looked!!

ReputationRep:
    Nobody will know, CV-wise, if you switch (presumably using Clearing?) You won't have to declare the change. Nobody will think you are indecisive. Just do the course you think you will enjoy more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Or just read some books and ditch the stupid degree...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.