The Student Room Group

Starting year 11..should I revise during the summer holidays?

I'm starting year 11 in September and I was thinking about revising for Additional Science (the whole of B2 only) and revise for Maths aswell to be ahead of everyone else or should I just relax? I've also got mocks coming up on the 1st December so I obviously want to be prepared :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Do some brief reading but nothing to excessive. You are very dedicated, I'm surprised you know your mock timings already.
Good luck to you and don't over complicate anything...everything is doable at GCSE level
Reply 2
Original post by xnads
I'm starting year 11 in September and I was thinking about revising for Additional Science (the whole of B2 only) and revise for Maths aswell to be ahead of everyone else or should I just relax? I've also got mocks coming up on the 1st December so I obviously want to be prepared :smile:

No no no. Relax, enjoy yourself :smile: Just showing initiative now proves that you are capable of working hard when you need to, and believe me, you DON'T need to do that throughout the holidays. As for mocks, if you really want to do well in them and treat them as seriously as your GCSE's, starting revising about 2 months before.

But take my advice, and enjoy your summer while it lasts! It's not that long :tongue:
Noo, I wouldn't recommend it.. enjoy your summer. You honestly don't need to start revising from now. Mocks are important but you don't want to work yourself too much just for mocks because when the real thing comes you are gonna be too exhausted!
I just finished yr 11. I didn't start revising til a week before my first exam xD hahaha
Take it easy mate, it's your holiday- enjoy it!
(but revise more than i did:wink:)
Reply 5
Reply 6
Original post by xnads

We go back 3rd sept for year 11 and the majority of my year have D's I'm not kidding either its horrendous and appalling. They never revise and for our May mocks I had the second highest in English, one person had A* and I had a very high B, the rest ranged e-d and one person got a C. I have had highest in my history mock out the WHOLE year. Please god revise for all your topics or you will end up like these ***** without a leg to stand on! Obviously you don't have to through the holidays! (I do and currently am atm in order to get A*s) I find it helps revising now so I am confident with everything and I wouldn't stress when the time comes but you know, when you start make sure you begin 1-3 hours revision everyday to get top marks, trust me it helps as you have NO stress because you revised early before and you barely have revision to do when the real uns' come along! Just helping :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Gunni098
We go back 3rd sept for year 11 and the majority of my year have D's I'm not kidding either its horrendous and appalling. They never revise and for our May mocks I had the second highest in English, one person had A* and I had a very high B, the rest ranged e-d and one person got a C. I have had highest in my history mock out the WHOLE year. Please god revise for all your topics or you will end up like these ***** without a leg to stand on! Obviously you don't have to through the holidays! (I do and currently am atm in order to get A*s) I find it helps revising now so I am confident with everything and I wouldn't stress when the time comes but you know, when you start make sure you begin 1-3 hours revision everyday to get top marks, trust me it helps as you have NO stress because you revised early before and you barely have revision to do when the real uns' come along! Just helping :tongue:

Nearly everyone does crap in their mocks, not many people bother revising :tongue:
Nope, you don't really need to start revising properly until a month (or two) before your exams (I say "need"; many people don't start until the week before :tongue:).
Reply 9
Original post by mickel_w
Nearly everyone does crap in their mocks, not many people bother revising :tongue:

Obviously :tongue: ! Its just we also had some real exams in the process and the overall majority was given D's as well which really depresses me :frown: our French class has 3 smart people and that's it. I don't know if I would count as one but looking at the results in my class I have A\B grades the other three A*s, the rest are lucky to get C3s which is like unbelieveably depressing it hurts ._.
Reply 10
I'm starting year 11 too and I will be doing revision, especially Spanish.
Reply 11
I'm going into Yr 11 like you but over the summer I think I'm just going to make sure I've got all my notes in order and revision notes ready to just pick up when it comes to revision period before mocks/next summer.

Apart from that I think I'm going to spend most of my time sleeping! :colondollar:
Original post by Gunni098

just like my year group and the rest of my school in general...but then again I'm not a good mock exam taker...
noo wayyy!! i hardly revised for mocks and only started revising properly 2 weeks before the real thing which may sound too late but you'll laugh at the amount of effort you actually need to memorise GCSE content... (minimal)
relax :P maybe do this before your a levels though
gcses is all about memorising content, which in the end doesnt even take that long :P
Original post by xnads

If i were you i would revise as it is not long before september. Also its good to get a head start. I am not saying you cant relax as thats what summer holidays are for. I am an ex yr 11 student and must say that the pressure in yr 11 was much for me so i think it would be better to make most of your time revising than layzing around as most people tend to do over their summer.

Edit: For maths i suggest you get the mathswatch CD, go on corbett maths online and use past papers for guidance etc.:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Angelo12231
noo wayyy!! i hardly revised for mocks and only started revising properly 2 weeks before the real thing which may sound too late but you'll laugh at the amount of effort you actually need to memorise GCSE content... (minimal)

it depends on the individual-everyone is different.
Original post by AlphaNick
No don't do revision in the Summer, you've got plenty of time and GCSE content is pretty simple...

everyone is different
Reply 18
Make the most of your summer holidays before you have to get back to school, when you'll be revising through all your school holidays from September until your exams are over. Good luck! Don't stress x
Original post by German123
it depends on the individual-everyone is different.

fair do... the point is that anyone can do good, A/A*
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest